• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California for Spring break

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, on a whim, my friends and I have pretty much decided to drive down to California for Spring Break (from Seattle). We plan to make it to San Fran in a day (start early morning, arrive there in about 12 hours).

That's about it for plans. We might even drive as far down as San Diego... the only rule we have is to make it as cheap as possible.

So, fellow Californians, what are some good sites to see/things to visit? Any advice for such a road trip? We pretty much plan on couch surfing and sleeping in our car.

We are young, 18-19, freshmen in college, and just about ready to see the world, so keep that in mind.

Any advice, general tips, must sees for the major cities? (San Fran, San Jose, LA, possibly San Diego, you get the idea)

Vito

Reaction score
In the L.A. area, you might like the Westside -- Santa Monica, Culver City, and the western parts of the city of Los Angeles. Depending on your interests, you'll probably find bars, restaurants, and clubs that will keep you busy. Also, the Westside is close to the beach. I don't know when your spring break begins, but here in Southern California we usually start having "beach weather" at the beginning of April.

Speaking of the beach, Orange County has a lot of nice ones -- Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, and more.

Casey

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think San Jose would be worth your time especially if you want to get all the way down to southern California. It may be a large city but SF and LA have so much more than it anyway, you might as well spend time in San Diego instead.

Speaking of which, there are plenty of things to do in San Diego, whether you want to go to the beach, have some good food, or go shopping on some little street with tiny shops. La Jolla may be of interest to you. Just keep in mind though, that San Diego is sort of like a smaller, cleaner, less exciting version of Los Angeles. They're very different but you'd essentially be doing the same things.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Don't start your posts with "So"

2) Don't call it "San Fran" (Look up Herb Caen and he'll explain it to you)

Skip San Jose. There's nothing there. Drive down the coast on Hwy 1. Santa Cruz is sleeping-in-car-friendly and is a good place to sit on the beach if it is nice. The acquarium in Monterrey is famous. The hearst castle, etc..

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vito
In the L.A. area, you might like the Westside -- Santa Monica, Culver City, and the western parts of the city of Los Angeles. Depending on your interests, you'll probably find bars, restaurants, and clubs that will keep you busy. Also, the Westside is close to the beach. I don't know when your spring break begins, but here in Southern California we usually start having "beach weather" at the beginning of April.

Speaking of the beach, Orange County has a lot of nice ones -- Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, and more.

Originally Posted by Casey
To be honest, I don't think San Jose would be worth your time especially if you want to get all the way down to southern California. It may be a large city but SF and LA have so much more than it anyway, you might as well spend time in San Diego instead.

Speaking of which, there are plenty of things to do in San Diego, whether you want to go to the beach, have some good food, or go shopping on some little street with tiny shops. La Jolla may be of interest to you. Just keep in mind though, that San Diego is sort of like a smaller, cleaner, less exciting version of Los Angeles. They're very different but you'd essentially be doing the same things.

We'll be leaving next Sunday, be there for a week. We mostly plan on doing it as cheaply as possible. Mostly stopping by in San Jose to crash for the night, I might know some people.

OC sounds like a good place to visit, we might drive along the beaches for a while on the way down. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, this was pretty spur of the moment and we just are going to wing it for the most part.

Vito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
We'll be leaving next Sunday, be there for a week. We mostly plan on doing it as cheaply as possible. Mostly stopping by in San Jose to crash for the night, I might know some people.

OC sounds like a good place to visit, we might drive along the beaches for a while on the way down. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, this was pretty spur of the moment and we just are going to wing it for the most part.

Hey, have a good time!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should just drive down the coast and hit the major cities. SF, LA, etc. I would visit berkeley too. I can't stand sleeping in a car, especially with 4 other dirty males, I would try to get a hotel at least every 3-4 days. You can crash 4 people into a single room at a 4 star hotel for under $100, in most cities. use priceline. Also it would be really useful if one of you have an iphone or other internet phone.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop in Petaluma and visit turn of the century victorian houses; have lunch by the harbor.

Drop over into Sonoma a few miles down the freeway and visit the Champagne caves.

Stop in Sausilto and do the tourist stroll.

If you have time, drive through the redwood forest.

San Francisco - 100's of places to see on the cheap - too many to list here. Google it.

Stop in Pismo beach and get yourself a few sand dollars

visit the madonna ranch for a bite

Enjoy Solvang for a few hours

Cruise around Santa Barbara, then eat at the big yellow house in Summerville

Check out the Indian statue off the freeway in Thousand Oaks

Skip the Valley unless you want to see a few studios

Hollywood is like SF - too much to possibly list here - but the hollywood bowl is cheap and always a good time.

Check out manhattan beach for an afternoon.

OC - drive through laguna beach. Play some hoops on the sand if you're up for it.

SD - its like SF and Hollywood.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as far as SoCal:

You really can't drink or get into bars as they do card, and are suspcious of fake IDs alot of the time. Also have the scanners.....But.....

Venice Beach is interesting, just get to see all kinds of weird people and cheap, throwaway shops. Its a good walk....maybe check out santa monica...but its mainly just a shopping district and pedestrian area....its a nice area but again, just shopping.

Hermosa Beach is great...so is Manhattan Beach. Hermosa may be more your speed as Manhattan Beach is just mainly a bunch of yuppies, soccer moms and pro athletes. Hermosa is a great beach city..play volleyball, rent a bike, hang out wherever.

Go to in-n-out burger just for the fact that you can tell people you've been to In-N-Out. Order from their secret menu (look online)

I wouldn't waste time going to hollywood or anywhere east of the 405 freeway...total waste of time IMO, especially at your age...however....maybe go to Disneyland if you've never been just for the hell of it...might be fun with some friends. Its expensive though now..like $75 each.

In orange county, go to Huntington and Newport Beach.

San Diego is cool. You'd probably dig Pacific Beach. get some fish tacos.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
You should just drive down the coast and hit the major cities. SF, LA, etc. I would visit berkeley too. I can't stand sleeping in a car, especially with 4 other dirty males, I would try to get a hotel at least every 3-4 days. You can crash 4 people into a single room at a 4 star hotel for under $100, in most cities. use priceline. Also it would be really useful if one of you have an iphone or other internet phone.

Or an apple store!
teacha.gif

jswanson3

Reaction score
I've done road trips from Seattle a few times. Highway 1 between Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo is beautiful. It takes MUCH longer to cover distance on Highway 1, but if you have the time it's worth it.

Astan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
Stop in Petaluma and visit turn of the century victorian houses; have lunch by the harbor.

Drop over into Sonoma a few miles down the freeway and visit the Champagne caves.

Stop in Sausilto and do the tourist stroll.

If you have time, drive through the redwood forest.

San Francisco - 100's of places to see on the cheap - too many to list here. Google it.

Stop in Pismo beach and get yourself a few sand dollars

visit the madonna ranch for a bite

Enjoy Solvang for a few hours

Cruise around Santa Barbara, then eat at the big yellow house in Summerville

Check out the Indian statue off the freeway in Thousand Oaks

Skip the Valley unless you want to see a few studios

Hollywood is like SF - too much to possibly list here - but the hollywood bowl is cheap and always a good time.

Check out manhattan beach for an afternoon.

OC - drive through laguna beach. Play some hoops on the sand if you're up for it.

SD - its like SF and Hollywood.

/thread

singhstyle

Reaction score
Well, this year, instead of going out and partying it up hardcore in another country or state, I decided to stay close to home and party, or just try to make some money. Times are tough, and anyone can collapse, so with that in mind, it makes it hard to even consider the Cancun trip I was considering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads