• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cage elevators.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All this reminds me of a cage elevator anecdote.

My grandmother had a friend in Shanghai whose husband had financed and built an apartment complex. They were planning to install a cage elevator in the main lobby and then the Communists came whereupon the importation of such an item proved impossible.

So now there is just this sort of gaping void in the lobby.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Those communists certainly knew how to spoil a party.

Yes indeed. You might not even know how right you are. Oh the parties that then took place in LK's own Principality. They were incroyable, as they used to say.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dig them, too. But surely you must also like some of the latest modern elevators, despite their "distant electric efficiency". The double-decker ones amuse me in a peculiar way.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hence 'elevator music'.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I think of the film 'Last Tango in Paris', the only thing that comes to mind is the elevator. To be honest, I can't even recall whether it's a particularly distinctive elevator -- it's just the most memorable thing about the movie for me.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
hence 'elevator music'.

Usually sounds better than Cage 'music'.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Usually sounds better than Cage 'music'.

Living in La Jolla, I was fortunate to many times hear John Cage conduct his music at UCSD before his death. Far from "elevator music" and seldom heard, it is unlikely to ever know the ears of anyone else in our cage elevator here in Minsk.

That is what you meant by Cage music, isn't it?
confused.gif
plain.gif
smile.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I've come around a lot on John Cage, in the last couple of years. One of my college roommates was a devotee.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Living in La Jolla, I was fortunate to many times hear John Cage conduct his music at UCSD before his death. Far from "elevator music" and seldom heard, it is unlikely to ever know the ears of anyone else in our cage elevator here in Minsk.

That is what you meant by Cage music, isn't it?
confused.gif
plain.gif
smile.gif

Yes, although since my attitude towards his work was formed as a college freshman, he's probably due a fresh, open-minded listening. From what I can recall, I'm sure I still won't 'like' it, but I may at least find it interesting.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Elevator music of any description would be preferable to the insipid muzak version of the Carpenters' Top of the World that was playing in the grocery store today.

classic!

anyway that's better than the drug store i was in a couple days ago, playing a best-of Chicago cd. Listening to Peter Cetera was like having my skin peeled.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads