1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cage elevators.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Apr 18, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like cage elevators. They have the polished mechanical elegance that only certain things that were painstakingly designed and crafted have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    One are one very interesting dude. Oh, and I, too, like them.

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Gaudi?
    Yes, the bottom one is in an apartment building by Gaudi.

5. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

The relatively plain cage elevator in our apartment building in Minsk says "Otis Brothers & Co., Yonkers, New York 1889". The neighbors just asked me why I was using my bespoke flashlight in the elevator at quarter to one in the morning! Then they mumbled something about crazy Americans.

I've always enjoyed the resounding metallic clank as the outer door latches securely and the distant whine as the car operates.

Modern elevators leave me guessing.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The relatively plain cage elevator in our apartment building in Minsk says “Otis Brothers & Co., Yonkers, New York 1889”. The neighbors just asked me why I was using my bespoke flashlight in the elevator at quarter to one in the morning! Then they mumbled something about crazy Americans. I’ve always enjoyed the resounding metallic clank as the outer door latches securely and the distant whine as the car operates. Modern elevators leave me guessing. _________________________________________
    How fun. I love how these American and European companies exported their products to some of the more odd places. For example, Russia and China. Modern elevators have that air of distant electric efficency, which isn't very appealing. What type of building do you live in? Beaux-arts?

7. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

How fun. I love how these American and European companies exported their products to some of the more odd places. For example, Russia and China.

Modern elevators have that air of distant electric efficency, which isn't very appealing.

What type of building do you live in? Beaux-arts?

What the post-revolution Russians didn't tear down, the Nazis were fairly successful in shelling into rubble. Somehow our building survived. It's rumored that our building was housing for high-ranking German army officers.

Reportedly, it was built in 1891. It's modest Beaux-Arts in design. By that I mean "not-terribly-Imperial Roman" as opposed to Beaux-Arts buildings benefiting from more imperial design and construction budgets. The detailing is rather sparse. It's likely that much of the building's decorative imagery was "liberated" during WWII.

Most of today's Minsk is relatively modern as a necessary result of its German occupying forces leaving nothing of beauty to remain behind. I'm unaware of any other cage elevators in Minsk.

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

wasn't there a cage elevator in Indiscreet? These elevators make for great cinema, I think.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Are there companies that still make cage elevators?

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

You won't find this quality today.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

In developed economies, it's difficult to find a flunkey to keep all that brass polished.

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

In developed economies, it's difficult to find a flunkey to keep all that brass polished.
    My flunkies prefer the term "henchmen".

13. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

My flunkies prefer the term "henchmen".

Really? Mine prefer "lackeys."

I love the pictures of the cage elevators. I agree with the statement that they're good for cinema. One was employed in J.F. Sebastian's building in Blade Runner, if I remember correctly.

14. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Do you live in a building with one? Trust me, they are hardly the fash. No doubt it does look great.

15. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

Really? Mine prefer "lackeys."

I love the pictures of the cage elevators. I agree with the statement that they're good for cinema. One was employed in J.F. Sebastian's building in Blade Runner, if I remember correctly.

it's a real building - the bradbury building.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

All this reminds me of a cage elevator anecdote.

My grandmother had a friend in Shanghai whose husband had financed and built an apartment complex. They were planning to install a cage elevator in the main lobby and then the Communists came whereupon the importation of such an item proved impossible.

So now there is just this sort of gaping void in the lobby.

17. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Those communists certainly knew how to spoil a party.

18. Horace

Horace Senior member

Those communists certainly knew how to spoil a party.

Yes indeed. You might not even know how right you are. Oh the parties that then took place in LK's own Principality. They were incroyable, as they used to say.

19. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Gaudi?
    Good eye!

On a sad note, we don't have them here, I'm in flatland.

20. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

I dig them, too. But surely you must also like some of the latest modern elevators, despite their "distant electric efficiency". The double-decker ones amuse me in a peculiar way.