• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&j handgrade refurbishment

Lomezz

Reaction score
My handgrades are suddenly in dire need of a new sole, after walking yesterday in the rain. I called C&J in London and they offered the service for 90 GBP plus 30 for shipping back. The gentelman was good enough to inform me that they're having a sale, and have 3 handgrade styles left at 220 GBP (Mortimer, Chester and berkeley(?)), and suggested that I combine the refurbishment with a purchase, and save on the shipping (add only 5 GBP for second item shipped). That would make it a total of about: 90+ 30 + 220 + 5 - VAT for the purchase = ~315 GBP ($565) that would buy me refurbishment and a new pair of handgrades in about, oh, eight weeks or so. I also called A/E, and while the nice lady on the phone was ill informed as to the techinical aspects of the process, they would change the sole only for $90. Can I trust A/E with handgrsdes? I mean, I can specify Rendenbach sole, but they probably wouldn't do the channeling, beveled waist, fiddle back, etc. Any other alternatives you know of?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My handgrades are suddenly in dire need of a new sole, after walking yesterday in the rain.
Are you sure your shoes need re-soling? A walk in the rain will not ruin your soles. They might look dirty and have some grid imbedded, but that is no need for a re-sole. You need new soles, once the old soles have developed a hole (or are very close to having a hole).

Let your shoes dry slowly, stuff them out with newspaper and lay on their side. Replace the newspaper after 12 hours for shoetrees and let them dry for another 36 hours. Then inspect them. The leather might have felt soft while it was wet, now that its dry, it will feel firm again. You might give them a touch of leather food or neutral cream (but that's more important in the winter if they have come in contact with snow and salt). If you are pedantic (like yours truly), you might get a sheet of sandpaper and give the sole a little rub down.

I'm pretty certain they will be all right.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
bengal-stripe, the man wants to be talked into new shoes, not told to stuff newspapers in his old ones.
biggrin.gif

Lomezz

Reaction score
Bengal - thanks. Unfortunately, the cork is showing in one spot, so I think resoling is definitely in order. I guess the water softened/weakened the leather in that spot.

Anyway, I pretty much followed your advice as to proper drying procedure.

AlanC - if at all, I need to be talked out of buying new shoes. And shirts. And sweaters (Bergdorf, today, lunchtime, 60% off...)

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gentleman was good enough to inform me that they're having a sale, and have 3 handgrade styles left at 220 GBP (Mortimer, Chester and berkeley?
Your post has a question mark next to the Berkeley model. Here is a picture of it (it's similar to the benchgrade Westminster). I bought this shoe several years but it is now discontinued (no response when you click on this website and not shown on the Crockett & Jones website any longer), so it must be hard to buy or find on the internet. http://<a href="http://www.shoesnort...ection.htm</a>

Lomezz

Reaction score
Thanks for the Berkeley link. The salesman described the Berkeley (he pronounced it Bahr-kley) as a semi-brogue, which I see it is. I couldn't find it in the catalog, so I guess it's being phased out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads