• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J- dark brown Audley or chestnut Belgrave?

Balthazar

Reaction score
I have both and love them both. The difference in browns is pretty big. And neither should be worn with a black suit. I would go with Audley first. I find myself reaching for that one more often.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I owned a pair of Belgrave in Chestnut, but the color was brighter than I hoped for.

So I used some DARK BROWN polishes (suggested by someone here on the forum) on it for several months until I got the right shade of brown

I wouldn't say this is for everyone, but I was quite happy with the result.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May i have your advise which would be your choice?
It would be my first pair of good shoes.
I would probably wear with my suits, light grey, blue and black.
If possible, photos of your worn pairs are highly appreciated.

Dark brown works for all suits. Chestnut for light colored suits only.

Modic

Reaction score

I owned a pair of Belgrave in Chestnut, but the color was brighter than I hoped for.
So I used some DARK BROWN polishes (suggested by someone here on the forum) on it for several months until I got the right shade of brown
I wouldn't say this is for everyone, but I was quite happy with the result.

Thanks for your sharing.
How about in the opposite?
If I found Audley too deep in color, could I polish it to be brighter?

strictly-4-my-pimps

Reaction score
I like Audley's a lot I would wear them often, however the simple broguing of the Belgrave's is irresistible. I like the colour and simple detail of the Belgrave. Very elegant and nice. However the Audlley's for me are more bold and powerful and darker in colour. I like them both it just depends how you want to project your shoes :)

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize that this has been discussed, but what color of cream have people found to be closest to C&J Chestnut? I'm currently using Saphir Mahogany, but it's not as red as I would like.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually went the opposite and I use Saphir Burgundy colored cream which makes them more of a dark chili and I love the color.

I think they look great with a navy suit. I just happened to be wearing a tan suit today with the Belgraves so I snapped a couple of Blackberry pictures. These shoes are about two years old and I purchased them when I fist started out on SF so they got a lot of wear as I was building my EG rotation.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your sharing.
How about in the opposite?
If I found Audley too deep in color, could I polish it to be brighter?

It is hard to lighten a shoe with polishes and creams. You can brighten it a wee bit with some lighter cream polishes. But it will not brighten much and will buff off eventually.

So the answer is yes - but only slightly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads