• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Clifford - Help with color

JCM

Reaction score
I'm considering the C&J Clifford, but can't tell the actual color from the photos - can someone who owns it or has seen it in person help?

Is it more like this:
674handgraclifford.jpg

This:
item1-11.jpeg

Or this:
336.jpg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's funny - I was thinking of starting a thread just like this. I'm hoping they look most like pic 3 - a true tan - and not so chestnut/cognac as the other pics.

JCM

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was actually hoping it was a bit darker, closer to pics 1 & 2, to wear with light grey wool trousers, or with darker jeans. How do you wear the lighter tan? Wouldn't that be too much of a contrast?

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Clifford's at Barneys a few years ago. They came in chestnut (I think that was the color listed on the box, I can check later), I think it was called. I remember searching the C&J catalogue but could not find that color listed for the Clifford, which made me think perhaps it was specially requested by/made for Barneys. I'm not sure if they still carry the Clifford in that color, but may be worth a trip if you're looking for the shoe in a darker shade of brown.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bry2000
Ed, what did you think of those tan Grenson brogues? I kinda liked them, but was wondering whether the last was too elongated.

I liked those and the cap toes the best. I thought the monks last was too bulbous. It comes down to tastes but I liked the shape of those a lot.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say that the pic #3 is closest, but after having polished the Cliffords a couple of times with Kiwi tan, I would say it is a little darker, but not by much. There is definitely no shine to them like the first two photos suggest. Either way, it certainly looks good with navy, black, any shade of gray trousers and jeans.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy