• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J 348 / Carmina Simpson / AE 3-333

RingTail

Reaction score
I've been looking at shoes in the $500 range with a sleeker last and these are the main options I have come across, only had the chance to see C&J Hallam and now own the AE Rutledge. Has anyone had a chance to see all three, I'd be curious to hear the comparison. When in search of a particular size and color C&J are quite hard to find.

C&J Westbourne on 348 Last

Carmina 80214 on Simpson Last

AE Rutledge on the 3-333 Last

Last edited:

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Ringtail,

Ive been investigating these choices myself (well the C&J and Carmina).
What exactly did you want to know? How they fit? How they look etc?

Most people who have the C&J and the Carmina rave about them. Im pretty close to pulling the trigger- just have to get over the "no trying on before buying" barrier.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
get the westbourne. great shoe, especially in chestnut. I take a 10.5UK/11.5US (I am tts 12) in the 348. I find that it runs 1/2 size large.

No experience with Carmina or AE

Last edited:

RingTail

Reaction score
I was curious on opinions of comparable aesthetics and fit.
I too have trouble with the 'no trying before buying' or even worse paying return international shipping if sizing etc does not work.

I'm 9.5D US, Gdot suggested I should go with 8.5 UK for say a Merton also on the 348 last. When I got to try the 8 Hallam it was tight in the toe box skyvalet did not have 8.5 in stock, 8.5 double monk in the same last was good. Haven't had a chance to try the loafer, I'm also concerned about heel slippage.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was curious on opinions of comparable aesthetics and fit.
I too have trouble with the 'no trying before buying' or even worse paying return international shipping if sizing etc does not work.

I'm 9.5D US, Gdot suggested I should go with 8.5 UK for say a Merton also on the 348 last. When I got to try the 8 Hallam it was tight in the toe box skyvalet did not have 8.5 in stock, 8.5 double monk in the same last was good. Haven't had a chance to try the loafer, I'm also concerned about heel slippage.

I am a true 10US and I bought the Carminas in suede in a size 9 and they fit really well. I had a little heel slippage but it was due to me breaking the shoe in a bit. After about 3-4 hours the shoe started to flex and it felt really comfortable.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality wise the C&J and the Carmina are pretty comparible.

The Carmina's will probably net out at a slightly lower cost than C&J.

However, I would still personally go with the C&J for aesthetic reasons.

The pattern/style you are looking at is just most elegant to my eye on the C&J.

I have six pairs of C&J and two pairs of Carminas. To my eye the 'English Urban classics' are C&J's domain and the slightly eccentric and or more rustic shoes are Carmina's forte. Carmina truly deserves their reputation as shell cordovan experts, btw. and their shell shoes receive a higher standard of making/finishing than do their calf shoes. And their suede is very regarded (although I have no experience with their suede.)

In either case you can't go wrong with either the C&J or the Carmina. The AE just isn't even in the same category.

As for availability of the C&J you can email them directly from the website and they will check stock for you. They keep a huge inventory on hand between their three London shops. Availability direct from C&J is not usually a problem.

Last edited:

RingTail

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, when I tried contacting C&J online, they redirected me to the NY store and they have much higher prices than the London ones. I think I need to call them directly.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just PM'd you the name of my Sales Associate in London.

He'll fix you right up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads