• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying A Suit!

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need help finding a suit for my graduation. My sister directed me to this website and said I could get good advice here. This is a ninth-grade promotion . I was thinking instead of a suit I could get some slacks and a vest, because a coat would be too hot. I like wearing slimmer cut pants, not tight, but slim cut and it is hard finding some. I normally wear a men's small. Any suggestions?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Wow, you have to wear suits to a junior high school graduation? At least that's still good. Someone wasn't wearing anything under my University graduation garment. The camera placements for the event probably showed a little too much.

If you have an H&M near by, it's a good source for slim fitting garment. If you already have some clothes that you like, you can always tailor them down.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
H&M is a good suggestion. You could check out Banana Republic or J. Crew as well. The vest is a good idea, you may end up wearing it a lot if you like the look.

Your social life will change over the next few years. Think bigger. While you are shopping, try on some sportcoats. Find a jacket you could wear with the jeans and stuff you have in your closet. Maybe something a little funky. Don't know what climate you are in but you might find one that could double as an outercoat. Try to get the "big picture" and develop a style of dressing you feel comfortable with.
Take your sister with you. I think she is on your side and trying to help you. She may help you to know what looks good on you. Hanging out on Style Forum will expose you to new ideas, if you are open.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only one choice for your suit, if the price is OK for you-- Thick as Thieves. what better time in your life to wear a cool suit like that? do a forum search for this topic, there are a lot of pictures and comments by happy owners.

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
You have your head on straight which is good. At this age I'll nearly gaurantee you'll grow out of it halfway through high school. Make sure it fits though, and avoid the temptation to have the sleeves and pant legs too long.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Thick as thieves is awesome, but my mom doesn't want to spend 400 bucks on a suit that I'm gonna outgrow by my high school graduation.

Your mom sounds too practical and reasonable.
wink.gif
Try hittin up your dad or an uncle or someone else. Go for the work around. Get a summer job to fund your sartorial mojo.

JulianKaye

Reaction score
Does anyone go to thrift stores anymore? I dressed in suits all through high school and college by finding great used suits and getting them tailored. Many of my suits had the "Thick as Thieves" look due to influx of donations of 60's suits at the time. I spent my money on tailoring, shoes and shirts and found a lot a great suits and jackets at various thrift shops.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay so today i got some slacks from gap and they fit well, but the blazer of the same material didn't fit. It's gonna be hard to find a vest of the same color. any ideas? I live in Southern CA and it would be way too hot to wear a coat to a ceremony at 5. I haven't checked aardvarks for a suit yet though. H & m is about a 30 min drive. Banana republic and jcrew don't carry a size 28 waist.

BBRex

Reaction score
Looking online, Banana Republic does carry trousers with a 29-inch waist. Did you try any on? With a tucked-in shirt (and an undershirt)? That might bump you up.

If you look at the bottom of this list, there's a few items on sale. Show your mom you're trying to save her some money (or use the money you save there to spurge on something else).

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...1&clink=379425

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think i might just return the dress pants and bite the bullet and deal with a sweaty suit from h&m. I read that many people are quite happy with them. I might even be able to find a cotton or linen one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads