• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a house in your early - mid 20s

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I just turned 24 years old this week, I live in my parents house(I don't want to be manouche!), although they don't really live there for the most part. I have been saving a good amount of money for a down payment. I also need to buy a car in June 2010 when my lease expires, which I am also saving for. So I'd like to get out of the house before I turn 26. I do not want to rent or have roommates. I am looking towards a condo unit most likely I would want 2 bedrooms 1.5 baths. I live in New Jersey so real estate is pretty expensive here, I have enough for 20% down right now, but with the job market I do not want to bounce into anything too quickly incase I do lose my job. I hear you really should not purchase a place more than 3x your yearly income, would you say this is true?

Any tips/pointers/guidance from you older folks would be great, or anyone who has gone through this recently.

Thanks

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to buy until you are full-fledged into your career, unless you are sure you won't/don't want/have to move. If you are completely done school and are sure you won't be moving, go for it after prices drop a little more.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your prospects!

Although I'm not much older than you I am a homeowner. I'm sure you're aware of this, but make sure you factor in property taxes. NJ property taxes totally suck. I would totally recommend getting a fixed rate mortgage also.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am full fledged into my career already. I am in my ideal industry in the exact type of role I wanted for my starting job. There is plenty of growth opportunity within the company as well.
Also the area I am in can always use more application developers, plus NYC commute is not out of the options either if ever neccesary.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
areas i like:

glen ridge
cranford
montclair
franklin lakes

3-4x your annual salary seems about right.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General rule is that mortgage + HOA/condo fees should not exceed 28-35% of your pre-tax income. That percentage can be higher if you do not have credit card, student loan, or other significant debt.

Take a look at a lot of places to figure out what are your must-haves, nice-to-haves, and don't-cares. Don't let your real estate agent pressure you into making an offer if it doesn't feel "right"; you need to feel an emotional connection to your condo. Be realistic about your lifestyle, e.g., don't buy a place with a large formal dining room if you rarely throw dinner parties. Keep in mind that you can change almost anything about a condo except its size and its location.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought and sold two pieces of property and I'm not that much older than the OP.... at this point in time however, I would wait it out for at least another 6 months at see what happens.

Also, I would buy as long term as absolutely possible. My guess is that prices will start reaching bottom in a year or so, after which they will be flat for a long, long time so selling/moving would be costly. For example, if you end up getting married in a few years and want to move up to a bigger place, the costs of selling, realtor fees, excise tax, closing, moving, etc could easily reach $50k just to change houses. I don't know what your specific plans you have, but whatever they are you should probably consider about a 10-year horizon when buying a place.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my condo when I was 22 (2 years ago, this month). I already had a full time job in the field I want, and was done with school. I think it was a good decision, and looking back I would do it again.

I put, I believe 10% cash down, and got a fixed rate of 6.5%. If you have a decent credit score you can probably get a much lower rate though (which is why I'm about to refi). At the time, my mortgage payment + HOA dues came out to around 25% of my yearly income.

As far as fixed or adjustable, I would say it depends on your circumstances. I don't plan on moving in the next 3 or 4 years , so fixed worked better for me, but my older brother who bought a condo at the same time got an adjustable since he probably will be moving.

Edit: FWIW, I also had no debt at the time.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do plan on waiting until 2010 to purchase (maybe a raise + end year bonus? could help!), just getting my homework done now...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would plan on going with a low leverage (i.e. vastly over-equitizing) in such an uncertain market

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I would plan on going with a low leverage (i.e. vastly over-equitizing) in such an uncertain market

Is the other choice even an option right now?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Is the other choice even an option right now?
Yes, unfortunately. I'm talking LOW leverage, like 40-50% equity

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, another thing I'm considering if I ever buy a home again (in addition to a large downpayment) is to get an extremely long term loan, maybe even 40 years, but pay off extra principal each month on a schedule to have the whole thing paid off in 10-15 years. I ran the numbers once and found that the total amount wouldn't be that much more than an actual 15 year mortgage, but this way I could drop down to the super low 40-year payment if I was ever out of work for a while, or decided to go back to school or start a business or something.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to buy until you are full-fledged into your career, unless you are sure you won't/don't want/have to move. If you are completely done school and are sure you won't be moving, go for it after prices drop a little more.

will they drop anymore?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads