• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Belstaff leather jacket, go with the summer or winter version?

hangten

Reaction score
What the title says. I am picking up a Belstaff Panther leather jacket and have the option of picking up a summer version with silk lining or the winter version with cotton lining. I really will only wear it during the cold season. What do any of you recommend?

Artking3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangten
What the title says. I am picking up a Belstaff Panther leather jacket and have the option of picking up a summer version with silk lining or the winter version with cotton lining. I really will only wear it during the cold season. What do any of you recommend?

Cold season = winter

hangten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artking3
Cold season = winter

Cold in Chicago = Fall/Winter/Spring

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangten
Cold in Chicago = Fall/Winter/Spring

It follows that the winter version is best, no?

Also: use the small questions thread.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
What's your definition of cold? and exactly how much warmth are you actually expecting from the jacket? if you're looking to use it mostly in "cold" weather of 45-60 degrees, perhaps the summer might actually be better.

It depends where you live honestly. In texas, I'd take the summer version so i could get reasonable use out of it, instead of only 3 weeks a year.

hangten

Reaction score
The difference is really only in the lining.

samurai

Reaction score
Ahhh, my favorite topic. Here's the scoop. When it comes to Belstaff, one is quite simply not enough. If I were you I would start with the cold weather on if you live in a place with cold winters.

But the long term goal must be to own at least two different ones. Why? Just because one isn't enough...

potter AB

Reaction score
Hi hangten,

As far as I know, the Belstaff Panther winter version also has thicker, stiffer leather.

I own the summer version, the Panther Timeless, which consists of 1.1 mm thin, very smooth but strong leather. It is very comfortable for cooler summer days and that was the reason why I bought it, since my two other leather jackets (not belstaff) get too hot inside. The summer version will not warm you. However, I use it in winter as well with a woolen sweater inside.

If you need a duffle Belstaff: go for the winter version
smile.gif

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter in Brisbane, Australia = Summer in Canada

I use SS collections as my FW, frequently.

hangten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
What's your definition of cold? and exactly how much warmth are you actually expecting from the jacket? if you're looking to use it mostly in "cold" weather of 45-60 degrees, perhaps the summer might actually be better.

It depends where you live honestly. In texas, I'd take the summer version so i could get reasonable use out of it, instead of only 3 weeks a year.

This is what I ended up buying a blackbrown panther summer version. It should arrive next week. I really only will wear this until it hits 32 degrees. Belstaff also has a vest that snaps into the jacket which should help.

Originally Posted by samurai
Ahhh, my favorite topic. Here's the scoop. When it comes to Belstaff, one is quite simply not enough. If I were you I would start with the cold weather on if you live in a place with cold winters.

But the long term goal must be to own at least two different ones. Why? Just because one isn't enough...

This is eventually going to happen.
musicboohoo[1].gif

I will next need one in burnt brown and then black and then a shearling and then..... First suits, then shoes, then denim, now this, thanks SF
bounce2.gif

If there are enough Belstaff fans out there we should start an official Belstaff thread. (and before you say we have a leather jacket thread already, Belstaff is not limited to leather). It would be great to see all the different styles out there. I'll post pics once I pick mine up.

samurai

Reaction score
A Belstaff thread would be an excellent addition to the board Hangten. Looking forward to seeing the pics of yr. new Panther ASAP...
smile.gif

Jackieboy55

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potter AB
Hi hangten,

As far as I know, the Belstaff Panther winter version also has thicker, stiffer leather.

I own the summer version, the Panther Timeless, which consists of 1.1 mm thin, very smooth but strong leather. It is very comfortable for cooler summer days and that was the reason why I bought it, since my two other leather jackets (not belstaff) get too hot inside. The summer version will not warm you. However, I use it in winter as well with a woolen sweater inside.

If you need a duffle Belstaff: go for the winter version
smile.gif

Hey man..bought one in blackbrown on Ebay. It all looks fantastic and Belstaff made. Only concern is the "T" that's surrounded by the wings in the Belstaff logo is kinda funky ONLY in the patch on the neck area. Looks more like a T..could that stand for Timeless? Just wanting to know if it's legit or a really nice fake. Has everything else..Belstaff inside right chest pocket and everything else. Doesn't look fake. Just making sure. Thanks for the help man!

porschemad911

Reaction score
I vote for the summer version.

I've got one of the Belstaff racing bloussons in an antiqued / burnished tan. It's the summer version with silk lining, and I love the versatility. I can wear it through autumn and spring with a shirt underneath, and adding a warm knit, gloves and scarf is enough for the winter (which can pretty cold here in Canberra).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads