• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buy Bigger Chest Or Smaller Waist Suit Jacket

emmitt1219

Reaction score
I am facing with the issue of either getting a suit jacket with a biggest chest size or a smaller waist size. I am slightly over 36 in chest and slight under 33 in waist. It seems that if I get a 38'' chest suit jacket, the waist would fit perfectly but the chest would be slightly too loose. If I get a 36'' chest jacket, the chest would fit perfectly but the waist would be too tight. My question is whether it is easier for a tailor to take in the chest or to let out the waist. That way, I would know whether to go with a jacket slightly biggest around the chest or slightly tighter around the wait. Thank you for your input!

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chest and shoulders are the hardest to change, you really don't want to try to change either. See if there is enough material to let the waist out. If not, get another suit or go MTM.

emmitt1219

Reaction score
Got it. Sounds great. Thank you for the information, cbbuff!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am facing with the issue of either getting a suit jacket with a biggest chest size or a smaller waist size. I am slightly over 36 in chest and slight under 33 in waist. It seems that if I get a 38'' chest suit jacket, the waist would fit perfectly but the chest would be slightly too loose. If I get a 36'' chest jacket, the chest would fit perfectly but the waist would be too tight. My question is whether it is easier for a tailor to take in the chest or to let out the waist. That way, I would know whether to go with a jacket slightly biggest around the chest or slightly tighter around the wait. Thank you for your input!

The 36 chest probably won't fit perfectly. It will be too snug. I beleive it is a rule of thumb
that the jacket chest measurement should be a couple of inches bigger than the actual chest.
So a 38 should fit and you can have the waist taken in

emmitt1219

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. Your feedback is invaluable to me.

I have gone to a local tailor. He recommended that, as many of you have suggested, go with 38 with an Euro suit and a 36 with an US suit (w/ the assumption that most US suits are a bit more lax with their measurement, and that was certainly the case with my Alfani suit).

Also, as many of you have pointed out, he shared with me that chest/shoulder is much harder, if not impossible, to alter compared to waist. Now I know!

Really appreciate everyone sharing his/her knowledge here. Hope you all have a great rest of the week!

Last edited:

Pochette

Reaction score
The 36 chest probably won't fit perfectly. It will be too snug. I beleive it is a rule of thumb
that the jacket chest measurement should be a couple of inches bigger than the actual chest.
So a 38 should fit and you can have the waist taken in

Um, no. This is already taken care of for you in the sizing. For example, a 36 jacket will have an actual chest measurement of 37-40 depending on the maker and cut (38 would probably be the most common).

OP, since you have an unconventional drop, your best bet is probably going to be either suit separates or MTM depending on your budget and access.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe a 3 1/2- or 4-inch drop is pretty close to standard for most American-made suits. I am surprised that the OP is having such problems in finding a good RTW fit. Does anybody make size 37s?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads