• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

button down shirts: short sleeves vs. long sleeves rolled up

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of short-sleeved button down shirts. I'd rather roll up my sleeves or wear a polo shirt.

freelance robotics

Reaction score
For the most part I just wear long sleeves rolled up, but I like to have a few short sleeved shirts for when it gets really hot out.

American Apparel's newer buttondowns have a good fit and the sleeves don't wing out, provided you size down one.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry i guess my question was really vague, i meant specifically a short sleeve button down vs. rolled up but there are still lots of helpful answers for others

so comfort is a biased opinion, how about in general which looks better or would you wear outside of comfort, since this is SF

i actually prefer the short sleeved dress shirt look over the patterned ones, just seems more clean and structured, where as the patterned ones just give me this bad AE, AF, Gap aftertaste

clarity

Reaction score
Yea the BoO ones or something similar are great. I'm not digging the FP one in the first picture, that color is pretty dark for hot weather imo.

But yea I mean if I could comfortably get away w/ long sleeve and just rolling up believe me, I would do it because that means not having to buy ss shirts.
fight[1].gif

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
long sleeves rolled look better.

If i were to get short sleeve shirts, i would probably go for ndg.

8.jpg

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long sleeves rolled up italiano style, till the day I die.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
sorry i guess my question was really vague, i meant specifically a short sleeve button down vs. rolled up but there are still lots of helpful answers for others

so comfort is a biased opinion, how about in general which looks better or would you wear outside of comfort, since this is SF

i actually prefer the short sleeved dress shirt look over the patterned ones, just seems more clean and structured, where as the patterned ones just give me this bad AE, AF, Gap aftertaste

I think it depends man. I mean I own more long sleeve button ups than short sleeve ones. All in all I prefer long sleeve since they are more versatile and can still be worn in colder months, but here in L.A. during the summertime you want as little clothing as possible, so like someone else said above me, rolling them up when its hot gets kinda uncomfortable at the elbow where all the fabric bunches up.

You should own/wear both. Mix your wardrobe up.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on the season.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any suggestions for other brands that will fit like BoO? i just want a couple cheap solid colour ones to add to the wardrobe

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what is cheap to you?

Mexicorn

Reaction score
I used to have a small amount of s/s button ups, but they never did fit quite right. Just found some Ben Sherman's at a deep discount though, and they fit like a dream. I'll definitely be stalking my local TJMaxx to see if more come in.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
under $50 would be ideal

side question: short sleeves with a skinny tie, can it work if it's not meant to be dressy, like under a sweater vest or something

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads