• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Dressing by Country - India

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I have very less to add here. The perspective of someone like me who was born in Delhi and raised here and only travels outside Delhi for leisure is very different from a foreigner visiting Delhi. I simply don't get remarks by other members who have visited Delhi on business.

Who wears a tie to the office in the 9 months of summer in India ? A SC or suit ? OMFG . It is just so uncomfortable. During summers, shirts and trousers are more than enough. For status, wear a diamond studded Rolex and a 5 carat diamond ring.

Hi Aj_Del,

Thanks for your reply.

I feel ya about the heat!

Believe it or not - my clients in Delhi wear coat and tie every day of the year. Although I realize they are not the norm.

I'm afraid I can't quite swing a 5 carat ring at the moment - do ya think CZs will do?
laugh.gif

Neo1824

Reaction score
That's a great post Globetrotter. I've been going back and forth to India for the last 4 years and I've noticed a lot of what you mention (letting others carry luggage for you, open the door for you, pour your water, etc...). I've always kind of taken it as they are treating me as a guest and have always tried to let them do these things, even though I feel a little weird about it.

Thinking now of these things in terms of position in society (and even I've noticed the caste system is alive and well), this makes a lot more sense.

Thanks!
Jim

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gdot
Hi Aj_Del,

Thanks for your reply.

I feel ya about the heat!

Believe it or not - my clients in Delhi wear coat and tie every day of the year. Although I realize they are not the norm.

I'm afraid I can't quite swing a 5 carat ring at the moment - do ya think CZs will do?
laugh.gif

That's why I wonder which offices you guys work in or visit. I am watching the TV right now and Indian ministers for corporate affairs in on his way to meet the party president to express his desire to quit. He is wearing an open neck full sleeved white shirt and office pants.

Even the britsh used to wear safari suits when they ruled India.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, the rather upper class Indian businessmen do tend to dress in proper business gear.
ratan_tata_logos_20080414.jpg
A808E44F-A3A1-717B-AD154F69C003FA57.jpg
83595-new-delhi-05-jan-2010-ratan-tata-launching-quotjaguar-at-the-10.jpg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ratan Tata should not be a point of common reference.............he is eons above (in all respects) most people in the world, let alone India.

But AJ is correct............you'd be suprised at how "regular" the majority of people dress, even if high on the food chain within their respective firms. Heck, the PM rarely gets dressed-up whereas you ALWAYS see Obama looking well-groomed.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
Ratan Tata should not be a point of common reference.............he is eons above (in all respects) most people in the world, let alone India.
Well as him being an Indian businessman I think he does set a nice example. Basically dressing up properly will work in your advantage, anywhere in the world.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who wears a tie to the office in the 9 months of summer in India ? A SC or suit ? OMFG . It is just so uncomfortable.
indira%2Braj%2B1.jpg

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the pics are not relevant as they were not taken during the summers or were taken during a press conference or something like that. E.g. Prannoy Roy is probably from Davos

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point is that if you wish to put on a suit in 42 C then go ahead and do it. In real India, hardly any one does it. 4 Indian minsters at a recent meeting
Lok_551856a.jpg

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
anil-kakodkar-g-madhavan-nair-mukesh-ambani-2008-12-7-8-6-12.jpg

My point exactly, they are all attending some function and that is why they are wearing suits. Anil Kakodkar dresses like this when he goes to the office every day
2007014.jpg
and the audience dresses like this
2007013.jpg

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the pics are not relevant as they were not taken during the summers or were taken during a press conference or something like that. E.g. Prannoy Roy is probably from Davos
I was talking about his business clothing dress sense. That has nothing to do with weather and whether he was in Davos or Chennai.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads