• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business casual advice needed

ThePants

Reaction score
So I bought a couple of button down dress shirts to wear without a tie, business casual style. The problem is that when I leave the top button unbuttoned, the collar is very stiff and stands up rather than spreading apart like I want it to. Is there any way to have the collar lie a little flatter?

Thanks!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without seeing a picture it's tough to say if this is all that bad. If they are brand new, launder them a couple of times, iron or press them, and see if it's better.

ThePants

Reaction score
The main reason I'm a little put off by the collar standing up is that I want to wear a cardigan over it and it looks a little awkward. The collar makes very rigid peaks over the top of the cardigan. (by the way, it's buttonless) I might upload a picture so you can better see what I'm talking about

Todd6060

Reaction score
+2
I have some button-down collars that fall down and I don't wear those shirts anymore.

rohde88

Reaction score

The main reason I'm a little put off by the collar standing up is that I want to wear a cardigan over it and it looks a little awkward. The collar makes very rigid peaks over the top of the cardigan. (by the way, it's buttonless) I might upload a picture so you can better see what I'm talking about
What is buttonless? The collar or the cardigan? Indefinite pronouns!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume he is confusing a button down shirt with a button up shirt. From later posts I assume the collar is forward point or spread, not button down.

ThePants

Reaction score
well today I learned that button down refers to the collar. Yes, it's a button up shirt with a forward point collar (w/o buttons).

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
There's another thread like this on the front page of MC. Why is the search function so difficult to use? How can you expect to dress yourself if you can't even use a search box? Anyway, your neck size might be too small on the shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads