• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Attire

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man. If it's an engineering firm all you have to do is wear a decent fitting OCBD, some nice chinos or wool slacks, and some quality shoes to be miles ahead of your coworkers
tounge.gif
I did 3 years of engineering in college before I decided that it wasn't for me... A lot of my friends are engineers right now; chem, mech, EE, etc. Apparently they just wear polos, jeans, and sneakers.

Neil41487

Reaction score
Glad you have some perspective on this. Yes I am an enginerd, but I like to look good (maybe thats why I'm going for my MBA...).

I'm trying to dress for the job I want I guess
laugh.gif

petr

Reaction score
The advice so far is good.

My advice would be to go classic all the way. For example, find an oxxford suit dealer and review book of swatch materials. On the first page is a selection called "basic business" materials for pants, suits and blazers: tan, grey, navy blue, olive. Buy a navy blazer, and these combinations for pants. The basic suit colors are great also.

If you do not want to spend the price for oxxford, which is true for many of us, then take note of the colors, material colors and how they work together. This small book gave me more ideas of how to begin a conservative wardrobe than anything else. It seems to me that Oxxford has done the work already.

Start here. These combinations may seem boring, but are just the ticket when they fit you well.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neil41487
Glad you have some perspective on this. Yes I am an enginerd, but I like to look good (maybe thats why I'm going for my MBA...).

I'm trying to dress for the job I want I guess
laugh.gif

I want to add that you should definitely check out the What Are You Wearing Right Now pinned thread. Start from a year ago and start flipping through, either noting down styles, elements, color and texture combinations you like, or even saving the pictures to your "SF" folder*.

There are a wide range of posters, old, young, traditional, modern etc that post. Hone your likes and dislikes and go from there.

****Don't ever let anyone find this folder or else you will have a fun time explaining why you have pictures of anonymous men on your computer...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads