• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bulky shirts: More worth it to take them in or buy slimmer shirts?

boxdiver

Reaction score
I have around 15 dress shirts that pretty much look like I'm wearing a garbage bag at times. I've lost 20 pounds over the last year or so. My neck size has remained the same, as has my arm length obviously...so I'm still a 16 neck, 32/33 length.

I'm wondering if I should simply re-stock my shirts and buy all slim-fit, but I know that will be costly.

Can a tailor take the shirts in a few inches or will it look bad? I'm assuming he'll charge me between $20-$25/shirt?

Opinions?

Thanks.

minervau

Reaction score
Yeah it may just be better to get slim fitting shirts. Maybe pick out your favorites and/or the shirts w/ the least wear and keep those?

It's probably not worth keeping white dress shirts, for instance, if you've already used them quite a bit and they're showing wear.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general OTR shirts are baggy wheather or not they're "slim fit". I have had great results with having OTR shirts tailored. Most of my OTR shirts that have been altered fit better then my bespoke and mtm shirts. Unfortunately if you have lost alot of weight then I would assume the collar on your old shirts would be too loose now? If thats the case I would just buy new "slim fit" shirts and have them tailored.

Edit: just re-read your post about your neck still being the same. No problem, just take them to a good tailor for darts or to be re-cut if really baggy.

S. Paul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
In general OTR shirts are baggy wheather or not they're "slim fit". I have had great results with having OTR shirts tailored. Most of my OTR shirts that have been altered fit better then my bespoke and mtm shirts. Unfortunately if you have lost alot of weight then I would assume the collar on your old shirts would be too loose now? If thats the case I would just buy new "slim fit" shirts and have them tailored.

Edit: just re-read your post about your neck still being the same. No problem, just take them to a good tailor for darts or to be re-cut if really baggy.

+1, if the shirts are still in good shape and not showing wear or pit stains, I'd find a local tailor that you can build a good relationship with to take them in. Losing a few inches to slim them down should not be a problem, although with some shirts it may depend on the cut of the armholes too. Add darts to help slim them further as needed.

Should cost about $10-$20 per shirt, depending on where you are at and the prevailing rate.

gl,
Sean Paul

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Paul
+1, if the shirts are still in good shape and not showing wear or pit stains, I'd find a local tailor that you can build a good relationship with to take them in. Losing a few inches to slim them down should not be a problem, although with some shirts it may depend on the cut of the armholes too. Add darts to help slim them further as needed.

Should cost about $10-$20 per shirt, depending on where you are at and the prevailing rate.

gl,
Sean Paul

I would do that. In fact I have been done that for my ( huge ) neapolitan shirts bought in US for the american market.

One question. If you put darts on them, could you undone them in some future ? I hate darts for dress shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads