• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a summer wardrobe

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whatever you do buy lots and lots of lightweight pants, wool, linen and cotton in shades of tan and light grey. I love the idea of cream but find them a bit unforgiving in practical use.

You only need 1 pair of cream/ivory trousers, just to give some variation.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A linen suit and a poplin suit will take care of most occasions that require a jacket.

Xenon

Reaction score
Get yourself a bunch of paper thin long sleeved cotton or linen/cotton shirts. Absolutely wear only once before you wash and iron.
Get yourself a bunch of very light weight linen, cotton or wool trouser in the typical light grays, taupe, tan, ivory etc. These should be unlined.
Very light weight wool socks and soft calf or suede shoes.

Absolutely no waistcoat. And a suit, jacket, or sports coat should be forbidden in 35-40 C weather. If any clients complain that you are not wearing a jacket in such heat, then they are clearly suffering grave mental issues and should be put out of their misery be being hung, drawn and quartered......slowly and then left to bake in the sun!!!!:D

Lastly if you are a northerner, don,t forget a wide brimmed hat and good sunscreen and UV lip balm

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be careful with unlined linen trousers in ivory as some of them may not be as opaque as you might like. As far as jacket and tie is concerned, business formal means jacket and tie year round. You can often get away with taking your jacket off, but if there's a more formal dress code, that's the client's decision, not yours. If you don't like that, become the client and then you can wear whatever you want.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O no, don't wear ivory trousers to office. That's for causal occasion.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

O no, don't wear ivory trousers to office. That's for causal occasion.

I'd agree, unless he works somewhere that is pretty casual. I'm pretty sure I'd look better in ivory trousers and a nice dress shirt than anyone in jeans and a polo on our firm's casual Fridays during the summer, though I haven't done it yet. Some of the things we at SF worry about just go out the window in some environments. I'd agree that tan is better and safer though.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a bunch of paper thin long sleeved cotton or linen/cotton shirts. Absolutely wear only once before you wash and iron.
Get yourself a bunch of very light weight linen, cotton or wool trouser in the typical light grays, taupe, tan, ivory etc. These should be unlined.
Very light weight wool socks and soft calf or suede shoes.

Absolutely no waistcoat. And a suit, jacket, or sports coat should be forbidden in 35-40 C weather. If any clients complain that you are not wearing a jacket in such heat, then they are clearly suffering grave mental issues and should be put out of their misery be being hung, drawn and quartered......slowly and then left to bake in the sun!!!!
biggrin.gif

Lastly if you are a northerner, don,t forget a wide brimmed hat and good sunscreen and UV lip balm

How to stay #menswear at tropical resorts then?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How to stay #menswear at tropical resorts then?

You stay indoor most of the time.

I'd agree, unless he works somewhere that is pretty casual. I'm pretty sure I'd look better in ivory trousers and a nice dress shirt than anyone in jeans and a polo on our firm's casual Fridays during the summer, though I haven't done it yet. Some of the things we at SF worry about just go out the window in some environments. I'd agree that tan is better and safer though.

I never understand the idea of causal office, possibly because I don't live in America

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A waistcoat by itself will make you look like a waiter or a pirate thrown off his ship! Don't even think about it.

Try to get yourself three pairs of trousers over the summer and then wear them with the shirts you have. Cuffs folded back is perfectly acceptable and I doubt anyone in your office will bat an eye lid.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
For a really barebones summer wardrobe, I'd get an unstructured, unlined, navy linen jacket (something like Barena or Boglioli), a few lightweight dress shirts in pale blue (batiste or cotton/linen are great) and some chinos in different neutral colours (tan, olive, grey, brown, etc.). Short sleeved button-ups usually look bad - much better just to roll up the sleeves. Whatever you do, don't wear a waistcoat.

Just so. Except I would not prefer chinos- just a personal thing for me.

Do your homework here on Styleforum. Search "Fresco" and read about this fabric.

A waistcoat is useless- spend the money on linen or light cotton shirts. A waistcoat will hold heat to your organs and makes you even hotter.
In hot weather you want air to get to your skin to allow for sweat evaporation- linen is king for me. I don't mind the wrinkles- for business look into Fresco.

Put some Gold Bond Powder on the boys and just use a good anti-perspirant/deodorant to avoid unsightly stains.
Nothing you can do about rest of the body- you need to sweat to cool down.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Madrid as well and the summer staples I'm thinking of getting made this year are three pairs of light grey trousers in some sort of warm weather wool (don't have access to Minnis Fresco so it will probably be Holland & Sherry CrispAire, though that's just a plain Panama weave), a beige/cream linen jacket, perhaps a "light navy" linen jacket, and some linen/cotton blend shirts.

Highest priority should be trousers and shirts, as you might end up not wearing a jacket all that much during summer.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads