1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Building a summer wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mdkeene, Apr 4, 2013.

1. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

O no, don't wear ivory trousers to office. That's for causal occasion.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'd agree, unless he works somewhere that is pretty casual. I'm pretty sure I'd look better in ivory trousers and a nice dress shirt than anyone in jeans and a polo on our firm's casual Fridays during the summer, though I haven't done it yet. Some of the things we at SF worry about just go out the window in some environments. I'd agree that tan is better and safer though.

3. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

This.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Seersucker, especially the all navy kind to keep cool and comfortable in heat.

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

How to stay #menswear at tropical resorts then?

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

You stay indoor most of the time.

I never understand the idea of causal office, possibly because I don't live in America

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

[​IMG]

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

A waistcoat by itself will make you look like a waiter or a pirate thrown off his ship! Don't even think about it.

Try to get yourself three pairs of trousers over the summer and then wear them with the shirts you have. Cuffs folded back is perfectly acceptable and I doubt anyone in your office will bat an eye lid.

9. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Just so. Except I would not prefer chinos- just a personal thing for me.

Do your homework here on Styleforum. Search "Fresco" and read about this fabric.

A waistcoat is useless- spend the money on linen or light cotton shirts. A waistcoat will hold heat to your organs and makes you even hotter.
    In hot weather you want air to get to your skin to allow for sweat evaporation- linen is king for me. I don't mind the wrinkles- for business look into Fresco.

Put some Gold Bond Powder on the boys and just use a good anti-perspirant/deodorant to avoid unsightly stains.
    Nothing you can do about rest of the body- you need to sweat to cool down.

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I'm in Madrid as well and the summer staples I'm thinking of getting made this year are three pairs of light grey trousers in some sort of warm weather wool (don't have access to Minnis Fresco so it will probably be Holland & Sherry CrispAire, though that's just a plain Panama weave), a beige/cream linen jacket, perhaps a "light navy" linen jacket, and some linen/cotton blend shirts.

Highest priority should be trousers and shirts, as you might end up not wearing a jacket all that much during summer.

11. Mdkeene

Mdkeene Active Member

Wow, lot´s of new stuff since I last checked.

I work in the office of a small Spanish restaurant chain. There are only 4 of us and we never deal with providers nor clients in the office. 40 plus celcius Madrileñan weather combined with poor air conditioning make wearing a suit absolutely impossible. We only need to dress formal when we go to the restaurants, where air conditioning is fine, to meet clients, employees, or providers. Perhaps this can explain the casual dress code in the office during summer.

Waiscoats are a no-go, obviously. Also, ivory and cream won´t work for me. I´m very, very clumsy, have a dog, and do a lot of work in and around the house - anything lighter than tan is asking for problems. Other than that, thanks for the suggestions. At least now I know more or less what to look for.

This afternoon while doing some window shopping I ran into a couple things that looked decent. For now I´ll stick to RTW articles, as I´ll only wear these things for about two months.

What are your opinions on blue and white striped seersucker sports coats?

Also, how is silk in summer? I found a very light silk shirt at a very good price.

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

If you can't pull off cream, a medium blue, tropical wool/linen blazer is the way to go. You can pair it with light grey wool, cotton or linen trousers.

Not sure what the consensus on seersucker sportcoats is, but I'm not a fan. Does such a thing even exist without being an orphaned suit coat? Someone please educate me, but I like seersucker as a suit only. Can't help you with silk, as I've never worn a shirt made of it.

Edit: Did some research and looks like seersucker odd jackets are fine. They're just so uncommon here they strike me as odd. Guess you learn something new everyday [​IMG]

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Love seersucker jackets. The color combination you described is a classic.

14. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Silk wears warm. Probably not ideal for hot weather. I have yet to see a silk shirt I like, so maybe I'm biased, but I would avoid it no matter the season.

I had a striped seersucker jacket at some point but I felt self-conscious wearing it. I much prefer solid navy.