• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buddy Holly Style

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
haha touche....but not because *you* don't like TB, but the volume of displeasure anytime Sartorialist (or the various other TB threads) has a thread involving him has gotten old...and dull

Well, I haven't been one of the people posting Pee Wee Herman pics (though I'll admit I found it amusing when I first saw it), and I've also grown weary of those kind of posts. It's kind of this annoying to see back and forth cycle where one person posts a TB praise thread, doesn't get the desired reaction from the crowd, and decides to post another one, this time prefaced by some semi-sarcastic callout remark (which, of course, works well and brings out the sarcastic replies).

For me it at least, it's not so much the look I'm responding to as what comes across as baiting of critics that causes me (and others) to pop in these threads with visibly annoyed tones. To an extent I think Sartorialist brings it on himself because he really does seem to have this in-your-face evangelical attitude about TB that shows up whenever he posts a thread about the guy. His other threads don't really do that, and thus regardless of the fact that there's never unanimous agreement about the outfits he posts, you never see any unpleasant exchanges. If it were some other random no-name poster starting the TB praise threads he did, the first thing I would ask is, "Do you work in Thom Browne's marketing department?" I think that's really what people are reacting to.

That said, I'm sure all of us would like to see pictures of you in your TB suit when you get it and have it altered, so we could all get a more realistic picture of how his outfits work. Extra points if the thread stays free of both Pee Wee Herman pictures and accusations of dullness.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
That said, I'm sure all of us would like to see pictures of you in your TB suit when you get it and have it altered, so we could all get a more realistic picture of how his outfits work. Extra points if the thread stays free of both Pee Wee Herman pictures and accusations of dullness.

i'll be sure to....and I don't agree with TB's personal opinion that the trousers be so short as I will hem mine brushing top of shoe with no break, the way I wear all my trousers.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think some 'real life' pics of Browne's stuff would also be worthwhile. If I based, say, Ralph Lauren solely on the way he presents his stuff on models I'd run away from it, too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
i'll be sure to....and I don't agree with TB's personal opinion that the trousers be so short as I will hem mine brushing top of shoe with no break, the way I wear all my trousers.

I wear my jackets a bit shorter than what is considered acceptable in these parts. They probably are just short of covering ******, maybe by a quarter inch. I have always worn them this way as I have a very flat behind that does not call attention to itself, and the slightly shorter length makes my legs look longer.

I think that most American me wear their jackets and pants too long, and that it looks sloppy.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
Yay, another Thom Browne circle jerk.
Call it what you want, but they usually turn into Pee Wee circle jerks. The dirty movie theater in Florida kind, not the good kind.

Style icons get posted here all the time, with modern interpretations. Browne is the only designer currently referencing the non-Trad part of the '50s and '60s. The pictures in this thread might not be iconic, but reflect a very real influence on the style of their time.

I'm not in love with TB's designs, they'd probably look like crap on me. But there are elements that I can use and I certainly appreciate the variety. The real-life impetus for the thread was the Buddy Holly Story, which I saw last night for the first time. Every bit as good as Walk the Line but better music.

Tom

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Um, so don't read them? ........... Why worry about whether other people do, or what they say?

well if I'm reading a thread about a subject matter of interest it's not so easy as "don't read them"....I don't read threads that are of little interest but that's a different thing altogether. But on the same note, if you don't like TB then maybe don't read threads about him?

oh, I don't. Just layering an observation on top of observation on top of observation etc etc.

Anyways, after I get my TB suit and it's back from the tailor I'll be interested in what people think of it....and welcome any criticisms/insults/praise/whatever in *that* particular thread.
smile.gif
...most of the TB pics I've seen I wouldnt wear in that manner but his overall style is one I am in tune with.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Be sure to get a huge pair of clonky black shoes to wear with the suit, and put extra thick laces in them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads