1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buddy Holly Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tiger02, Apr 7, 2006.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Are all the snide jabs really necessary?

nearly all of the snide jabs are towards pro-Thom Browne. I cant recall anyplace where someone made a direct jab towards someone not liking TB in terms of "you dont like TB, what is wrong with you, are you an old fogie"?

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Here's a bigger image. Look at those tiny vents!

one of my jackets I had re-tailored ended up with about 4" side vents after being shrunk

4. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

Here's an a picture from a prom in 1960.
    Seems the artists of that era took the then fashion
    and extended it (or should I say shortened [​IMG] ) it.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

nearly all of the snide jabs are towards pro-Thom Browne. I cant recall anyplace where someone made a direct jab towards someone not liking TB in terms of "you dont like TB, what is wrong with you, are you an old fogie"?

How about...

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

haha touche....but not because *you* don't like TB, but the volume of displeasure anytime Sartorialist (or the various other TB threads) has a thread involving him has gotten old...and dull

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I kind of like Thom Browne. His clothing would be absolutly useless for my lifestyle, but I think the overall look is very cool. I would think that they would be great, and not that difficult to wear, for somebody with a different job and social life than I have.

I have tried on his jackets and they actually feel pretty nice to wear. My only concern would be paying full price for a jacket or suit and growing tired of i quickly.

8. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

From what I hear the quality of construction is quite good, so I'll at least give him that, although as the pieces will be out of fashion so quickly it likely would be better to find a cheaper option if you wanted that cut.

9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

although as the pieces will be out of fashion so quickly it likely would be better to find a cheaper option if you wanted that cut.

You mean I shouldn't put patches on all my suit pants [​IMG]

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

The quicker the better.....while I like the fact that this particular cut is getting some mainstream attention, I'll be a happier camper once it fades out of the limelight since I'll still be wearing my bumfreezers

11. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

haha touche....but not because *you* don't like TB, but the volume of displeasure anytime Sartorialist (or the various other TB threads) has a thread involving him has gotten old...and dull

Well, I haven't been one of the people posting Pee Wee Herman pics (though I'll admit I found it amusing when I first saw it), and I've also grown weary of those kind of posts. It's kind of this annoying to see back and forth cycle where one person posts a TB praise thread, doesn't get the desired reaction from the crowd, and decides to post another one, this time prefaced by some semi-sarcastic callout remark (which, of course, works well and brings out the sarcastic replies).

For me it at least, it's not so much the look I'm responding to as what comes across as baiting of critics that causes me (and others) to pop in these threads with visibly annoyed tones. To an extent I think Sartorialist brings it on himself because he really does seem to have this in-your-face evangelical attitude about TB that shows up whenever he posts a thread about the guy. His other threads don't really do that, and thus regardless of the fact that there's never unanimous agreement about the outfits he posts, you never see any unpleasant exchanges. If it were some other random no-name poster starting the TB praise threads he did, the first thing I would ask is, "Do you work in Thom Browne's marketing department?" I think that's really what people are reacting to.

That said, I'm sure all of us would like to see pictures of you in your TB suit when you get it and have it altered, so we could all get a more realistic picture of how his outfits work. Extra points if the thread stays free of both Pee Wee Herman pictures and accusations of dullness.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

That said, I'm sure all of us would like to see pictures of you in your TB suit when you get it and have it altered, so we could all get a more realistic picture of how his outfits work. Extra points if the thread stays free of both Pee Wee Herman pictures and accusations of dullness.

i'll be sure to....and I don't agree with TB's personal opinion that the trousers be so short as I will hem mine brushing top of shoe with no break, the way I wear all my trousers.

13. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I think some 'real life' pics of Browne's stuff would also be worthwhile. If I based, say, Ralph Lauren solely on the way he presents his stuff on models I'd run away from it, too.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

i'll be sure to....and I don't agree with TB's personal opinion that the trousers be so short as I will hem mine brushing top of shoe with no break, the way I wear all my trousers.

I wear my jackets a bit shorter than what is considered acceptable in these parts. They probably are just short of covering my ass, maybe by a quarter inch. I have always worn them this way as I have a very flat behind that does not call attention to itself, and the slightly shorter length makes my legs look longer.

I think that most American me wear their jackets and pants too long, and that it looks sloppy.

15. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Yay, another Thom Browne circle jerk.
    Call it what you want, but they usually turn into Pee Wee circle jerks. The dirty movie theater in Florida kind, not the good kind.

Style icons get posted here all the time, with modern interpretations. Browne is the only designer currently referencing the non-Trad part of the '50s and '60s. The pictures in this thread might not be iconic, but reflect a very real influence on the style of their time.

I'm not in love with TB's designs, they'd probably look like crap on me. But there are elements that I can use and I certainly appreciate the variety. The real-life impetus for the thread was the Buddy Holly Story, which I saw last night for the first time. Every bit as good as Walk the Line but better music.

Tom

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Um, so don't read them? ........... Why worry about whether other people do, or what they say?

well if I'm reading a thread about a subject matter of interest it's not so easy as "don't read them"....I don't read threads that are of little interest but that's a different thing altogether. But on the same note, if you don't like TB then maybe don't read threads about him?

oh, I don't. Just layering an observation on top of observation on top of observation etc etc.

Anyways, after I get my TB suit and it's back from the tailor I'll be interested in what people think of it....and welcome any criticisms/insults/praise/whatever in *that* particular thread. [​IMG] ...most of the TB pics I've seen I wouldnt wear in that manner but his overall style is one I am in tune with.

17. j

j Senior member

Be sure to get a huge pair of clonky black shoes to wear with the suit, and put extra thick laces in them.

18. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Be sure to get a huge pair of clonky black shoes to wear with the suit, and put extra thick laces in them.

will these do?

[​IMG]

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think Prince is rather stylish.

And Mink Deville at one point:

[​IMG]

The David Live has got to be one of the most chic poses ever:

[​IMG]

Ron Mael:

[​IMG]

20. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

continuing the Sparks inspiration eh? nice!