• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buddy Holly Style

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
more pics....Jackie Mitto's bumfreezer....this one is too short, even for me!

jackie%20mittoo.JPG

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
Do we even have pop artists with any sense of sartorial style today?

I guess P. Diddy tries to rise above grunge.

Andre3000, for one. I'd kill to be able to dress like Lenny Kravitz.

Oh, and I hear there's a little indie band out in SoCal that has a decently dressed guitarist
wink.gif

aybojs

Reaction score
Yay, another Thom Browne circle jerk.

I don't think some of you guys get it; it's not so much that people here are seething with hatred for the guy; like I said, it's fine that the guy is doing his own thing, though it doesn't do anything for me. Some people like it; some people think it looks silly in comparison with the traditional and generally accepted guidelines of what a tailored fit should approach, and there's nothing wrong with arriving at either opinion and expressing it.

What is getting very annoying is the constant pushiness from some people who have to keep insisting that anyone who doesn't go nuts over the guy's designs is some kind of backward, boring tool who needs to be trolled until he "comes around." I'm no industry expert, but I've seen a lot of examples of men's clothing and of Thom Browne's clothing and his look. In my case, I'm a 20-something male who enjoys mixing fashion forward elements with traditional dress clothing, i.e. Browne's target demographic. Even then, I've still made my observations and come to the informed conclusion that I dislike his styling and cuts, and prefer a more classic silhouette. I don't see how that makes me (and I'm using myself as a representative of the people who here don't care for Browne's designs) some kind of uptight caricature of a 60 year old AA Trad poster, nor do I see any good case for an argument that is does being made; that just means my taste skews elsewhere. Are all the snide jabs really necessary?

Maybe I've been watching too much South Park lately, but it seems like Thom Browne suits are the hybrid cars of this forum; everytime people start promoting them, a massive cloud of smug forms overhead.

For the record, I also think that rock star fashion basically operates in its own little world without any of the practical bounds that would influence how a person would dress to fit in everyday life. I think it's for that reason that the majority of time people try to emulate rock star dress in their daily lives, they tend to look out of place and come off as posers.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
Are all the snide jabs really necessary?

nearly all of the snide jabs are towards pro-Thom Browne. I cant recall anyplace where someone made a direct jab towards someone not liking TB in terms of "you dont like TB, what is wrong with you, are you an old fogie"?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Here's a bigger image. Look at those tiny vents!

one of my jackets I had re-tailored ended up with about 4" side vents after being shrunk

Millerp

Reaction score
Here's an a picture from a prom in 1960.
Seems the artists of that era took the then fashion
and extended it (or should I say shortened
smile.gif
) it.
smile.gif

fashion1960088uv.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
nearly all of the snide jabs are towards pro-Thom Browne. I cant recall anyplace where someone made a direct jab towards someone not liking TB in terms of "you dont like TB, what is wrong with you, are you an old fogie"?

How about...

The Thom Browne detractors are just dull.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
haha touche....but not because *you* don't like TB, but the volume of displeasure anytime Sartorialist (or the various other TB threads) has a thread involving him has gotten old...and dull

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I kind of like Thom Browne. His clothing would be absolutly useless for my lifestyle, but I think the overall look is very cool. I would think that they would be great, and not that difficult to wear, for somebody with a different job and social life than I have.

I have tried on his jackets and they actually feel pretty nice to wear. My only concern would be paying full price for a jacket or suit and growing tired of i quickly.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
From what I hear the quality of construction is quite good, so I'll at least give him that, although as the pieces will be out of fashion so quickly it likely would be better to find a cheaper option if you wanted that cut.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The quicker the better.....while I like the fact that this particular cut is getting some mainstream attention, I'll be a happier camper once it fades out of the limelight since I'll still be wearing my bumfreezers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads