• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown or black oxfords

patina.pal

Reaction score
Getting ready to purchase my first pair of real dress shoes, should I get a classic, versatile brown Oxford? Or the quintessential black captoe? I done wear a lot of black so the brown would definitely get more use, but I wouldn’t have anything for job interviews (will be changing jobs in the next year). Also, what styles are more sought after?

paxonus

Reaction score
Dark brown, or burgundy. Both go with just about everything. Your choice is between a classic rounded toe, or a more stylish chisel toe. If you are a Brooks Brothers type, go for the round toe. If you are more of a Suit Supply type, go for the chisel.

patina.pal

Reaction score
I think I would like a more chiseled toe look, but I don’t necessarily want to have excess toe space for the sake of style. I like carmina’s style, but not a huge fan of their price tag.

I know of some other brands like meermin or Loding, what styles should I look at? Whole cuts? Semi brogues? Wingtips?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At a price tag lower than Carmina, check out Carlos Santos, Yanko, and Lof and Tung.

In your position I would suggest a dark brown punch captoe or semi brogue for maximum versatility.

notdos

Reaction score
If this is going to be your only pair, I’d strongly recommend burgundy over brown or black.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to purchase my first pair of real dress shoes, should I get a classic, versatile brown Oxford? Or the quintessential black captoe? I done wear a lot of black so the brown would definitely get more use, but I wouldn’t have anything for job interviews (will be changing jobs in the next year). Also, what styles are more sought after?

Dark brown, or burgundy. Both go with just about everything. Your choice is between a classic rounded toe, or a more stylish chisel toe. If you are a Brooks Brothers type, go for the round toe. If you are more of a Suit Supply type, go for the chisel.

What sector will you work in? It could actually be important. If you are working in a white-shoe busines like banking, finance, or law, you should seriously consider black. If you are in a more casual sector like technology, consider dark brown first and then burgundy second. Both of these will go with business casual wear or more formal wear (suits) if in the right style. I recommend a dark brown cap toe first. With a navy or grey suit, this is as formal as black—outside of the super conservative industries. I recommend a quarter brogue burgundy shoe second, since it also can be worn with the same suits and chinos as the dark brown. After that, I recommend brown wingtip oxfords , black wingtip oxfords, and then tan wingtip bluchers. That gives you options for all non-black suits and all jeans and chinos (with or without a sport coat). It lets you have a full rotation and rest your shoes in shoe trees.

patina.pal

Reaction score
EZV, that list is awesome. I will be graduating with a BS in Economics, and so far all of my network connects that I have built thus far are in the banking industry. With that being said, I am also looking to be in the data analytics field, but probably sticking in banking, insurance, or health care.

My current shoe collection consists of :
  • vintage Florsheim black bluchers (thrift store)
  • light brown sperry a/o gold cups
  • dark brown sperry a/o gold cups
  • black Allen Edmond chukkas (ebay)
  • tan balmoral cap toe (ebay, half size too big)
My current suit collection
  • navy
  • navy with a faint pin stripe
  • gray with a faint pin stripe

I wear the sperrys most days, but when I go to work I rotate between the balmorals, Florsheim, and the chukkas. I wear a lot of chinos. That might change when I enter the work force.

I think I like the idea of having a darker brown cap toe (that actually fits), wingtips, and maybe some loafers? What advice would you have for loafer style (tassel, penny, dark brown, Burgundy)?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I like the idea of having a darker brown cap toe (that actually fits), wingtips, and maybe some loafers? What advice would you have for loafer style (tassel, penny, dark brown, Burgundy)?

Loafers are a tough one to me. I don’t wear them because they almost never work with my orthotics. They are the least formal shoe, too. I actually think some double monk strap shoes (kind of a loader) work in a fashion-forward atmosphere. I think a brown or burgundy double monk is versitile. I’m waiting for Thursday boots to release a double monk boot...

patina.pal

Reaction score
I’m a fan of the double monk, but would you have any pattern? Just a cap toe? Brogueing?

At this point I have a solid list of shoes to get, but what’s your opinion of the whole cut?

Also what brands should I look for? Not the biggest fan of AE styles. I like carmina, but it’s pretty pricey.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a fan of the double monk, but would you have any pattern? Just a cap toe? Brogueing?

At this point I have a solid list of shoes to get, but what’s your opinion of the whole cut?

Also what brands should I look for? Not the biggest fan of AE styles. I like carmina, but it’s pretty pricey.
Try Thursday

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NervesAidHealth