• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brown cap toe oxfords

What brown cap toe oxford shoe ?

• Orbans - richelieu bout droit city bergeronette

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Ypsons - antiochus patine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ypsons - pep cuir marron

• Meermin - 101198 - COOPER ANTIQUE CALF - E

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Crownhill shoes - the St. Louis

• Charles Tyrwhitt - Tan Bennett toe cap Oxford shoes

• Velasca - Cicisbeo

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

YoungBlood

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading a LOT on the internet. Normally you should not wear brown shoes (cfr. no brown in town) but with a navy suit I guess a lot of people permit it. Also no brogues allowed. So I am asking what would you guys choose as a shoe (my maximum budget is 200 euro) that fits a navy wedding suit with a grey vest and wine coloured tie. If any of you happen to have the same shoe, please post some "real life" pictures of it as I find it hard to judge pictures on the web.

Here is my selection:

Orban's (unluckily not available in my size until end of July, I'm getting married beginning of August)
RICHELIEU BOUT DROIT CITY Bergeronette
(Goodyear welted)
Made in Spain
richelieu-bout-droit-city-bergeronette.jpg

Ypsons
Antiochus Patine
(Goodyear welted)
Made in Portugal
antiochus-patine.jpg

Pep cuir marron
(Goodyear welted)
Made in Portugal
pep.jpg

Meermin
101198 - COOPER ANTIQUE CALF - E
(Goodyear welted)
Made in China
10119811130000SE-4_22.jpg

Crownhill Shoes
The St. Louis
(Blake welted)
Made in Spain
oxford-plain-shoes-cognac-brown-the-st-louis.jpg

Charles Tyrwhitt
Tan Bennett toe cap Oxford shoes
(Goodyear welted)
Made in China
SHC0041TAN_a.jpg

Velasca
Cicisbeo
(Blake welted)
Made in Italy
Cicisbeo_Oxford_02_2048x2048.progressive.jpg

If you have other suggestions: please keep in mind: shipping from within EU/UK =<200euros

Thanks for thinking with me.

Also: I only need to wear a suit only of couple of times a year so spending more than 200 euro on shoes that will not be worn very much after my wedding is not very sensible. Also my friends and family don't have a clue about dress shoes...so why the need for Berluti,Crockett & Jones and the likes?

Edit: added construction type and country of production.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+2

YoungBlood

Reaction score
Any ideas how the quality compares between the shoes presented ? I know I can't expect too much at this price point but maybe there is a difference amongst these brands.

Tacosauce

Reaction score
The difference will be in the quality of leather used and the construction methods used on the shoes.

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say Orbans. Runner up Meermin. Perhaps you already taken part of this Orbans review (Jesper Ingvaldsson, always initiated), if not

http://shoegazing.se/english/2017/02/19/review-orbans-oxford-soho-dark-brown/

Last 944 and 544 for laced shoes. Another model reviewed in the article (on last 944, marron) but still Oxford and should provide information regarding quality. Unfortunately bad visual presentation on their site, in review high quality pictures. Not bad looking shoes at all, competitive in quality and price.

EDIT: Regarding Meermin I do think they have some strike rate problems, generating returns etc. Considered good value given price. Potential a problem in case of a wedding day deadline.

Last edited:

rec star

Reaction score
I would say Orbans. Runner up Meermin. Perhaps you already taken part of this Orbans review (Jesper Ingvaldsson, always initiated), if not

http://shoegazing.se/english/2017/02/19/review-orbans-oxford-soho-dark-brown/

Last 944 and 544 for laced shoes. Another model reviewed in the article (on last 944, marron) but still Oxford and should provide information regarding quality. Unfortunately bad visual presentation on their site, in review high quality pictures. Not bad looking shoes at all, competitive in quality and price.

EDIT: Regarding Meermin I do think they have some strike rate problems, generating returns etc. Considered good value given price. Potential a problem in case of a wedding day deadline.

Hi,NJE66
I see you are recommending men's shoes,
I would like to invite you to join our online word of mouth, recommendation community. As a member of our community, you will be rewarded simply by recommending items you have purchased and enjoy using, to you friends. Come join and be the next Rec-Star. http://rec-star.net/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads