• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brokers Fees! #@%#%

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
just had my first look at 8-9 places on the market last night. Compared to this time last year, there are some great values out there.

I can likely move from my studio into a 1-bedroom offering about 2.5X's the room for about $50 more a month. Wonderful!

And as I mentioned earlier, ask about paying a broker's fee in exchagne for a rent reduction. Most of the places I saw offered a month free if I paid or $150 less in rent each month. The first year it'll likely be a wash with more money coming out of pocket at the front, but if I stayed on another year I would be saving quite a bit of money in taking the cheaper rent.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
For what it is worth I am looking to find a 1 br in the $2500 range. I am looking primarily on the UWS. But am open to anywhere on west side (Morningside Heights, UWS, Clinton, Chelsea, West Village).

In all of your searching (those who have posted in this thread) let me know if you see any good deals. I will do the same.

1br UWS shouldn't be too hard to find for $2500 going non-broker.

untilted

Reaction score
went to nyc with roommates to search for apartments two weeks ago. needed 3 bedrooms or 2 bedroom flexed into three. relied HEAVILY on nybits.com. no broker fee, also had a broker showing us apartments throughout the city at zero charge.
wink.gif

settled for 3-bedroomer on madison ave @ 30th, 2 blocks from empire state building, at only $1200 per person per month.

untilted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
What are the things I will definitely need when I am out looking for apartments in the city starting next week?

A list so far:

My credit score report.
Income statement or some sort of employment letter?.
Copy of driver's license.

Anything else?

income statement , lol?

ID
credit report. better be >700 fico
employment letter specifying ur annual salary, and starting date
tax return for 3 years. the most recent one is most important.
if u are a fresh grad like me, mostly like need guarantor. i had to pay 3x security deposit so i can skip the guarantor...

this one apartment wants my guarantor to make at least a quarter of a million last year. i was like WTF.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by untilted
income statement , lol?

ID
if u are a fresh grad like me, mostly like need guarantor. i had to pay 3x security deposit so i can skip the guarantor...

this one apartment wants my guarantor to make at least a quarter of a million last year. i was like WTF.

Wow. That seems pretty invasive.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
went to nyc with roommates to search for apartments two weeks ago. needed 3 bedrooms or 2 bedroom flexed into three. relied HEAVILY on nybits.com. no broker fee, also had a broker showing us apartments throughout the city at zero charge.
wink.gif

settled for 3-bedroomer on madison ave @ 30th, 2 blocks from empire state building, at only $1200 per person per month.

Did you get a flex 2? Luxury building?

untilted

Reaction score
pre war luxury building. not sure if its a true 3 bedroom or 2 converted to 3. but living room is still huge...

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif

How nice, convenient to both Curry Hill and K-town. $3600 for a flex 2 is quite good. There are many much smaller 1 bdrms at that price.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
income statement , lol?

ID

Oops...thats what I meant.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NY Daily news (I think) did an article about a month ago... many apartments down 20% in monthly rent levels from their highs.

My advice for seekers: In some areas you can find signs on buildings right now with apartments available, "no fee". Look for them and ask. You might be one of the few to inquire, if they haven't gotten the word out about an available apartment yet. Figure out what neighborhood works for you, and wander around looking.

Also, if you are a "Good tenant" (i.e, look like you have a ton of money and won't trash the place) some buildings WANT you as a tenant. So large apartment buildings might say, "oh, you know... we just might have one coming available". So at large buildings simply go in and ask. It's a bit of a crap shoot, but that's finding an apartment in NYC.

Unfortunately my building is full... and I just had yet another increase in rent. But it is a unique building in a great location, which is why it is full.

samblau

Reaction score
OP here...

Going to look in Park Slope this weekend, any advice? I've been there, but never lived anywhere in Brooklyn other than the Heights, which might as well be Manhattan given that no one ever went further in. I looked in Manhattan and really would prefer not to live in a closet. There are some great places in the Heights but they are closer to $3k and my roommate and I want to stay closer to $2600. I found the listings through idealpropertiesgroup.com which is advertising some no fee places. Anyone have any experience?

samblau

Reaction score
So here is the end of my story...

Ultimately my potential roommates flaked out on me. I spent last year doing the whole "flex" thing in a midtown luxury bldg. and while it was nice, I decided that having my own personal space is a necessary component to successfully living in NYC. My commute will be a whopping 10 mins which also played a huge factor in my decision.

I spent almost a month looking, however that is because I needed to drive in from PA every time. Location is everything, and I decided that I would rather have my own nice studio than a crappy 1-bed or split a 2-bed with a stranger. I will be living in Brooklyn Heights, one block from the Promenade, my favorite place in the city. The studio is roughly the same price as a decent 1-bed in an UES walk-up however their is a work-out room in the basement with all the machines that I will need as well as a laundry, an elevator and a doorman. Additionally, ALL of my utilities INCLUDING ELECTRIC are part of my rent. Lastly, I will be near my school and the courts, and as an alumni/attorney there are plenty of places I can use. As I said to my folks, this place is not my home, but rather a nice place to sleep for two years.

I found the place using a broker, however, it was a no-fee building with one month free. The brokers ad however, was misleading, as the one month free was not amortized and they could not negotiate a 2-year lease. My belief is that the broker did not communicate my offer as it would likely result is a fee reduction. As some of you know, I am starting a gov job, and I cannot afford a massive increase next year. I eventually went over the brokers head and dealt with Halstead, the building managers representative and hammered out a two year deal that in the end costs me $25 more p/m on a 2-year lease. The original broker is somewhat displeased, however they won't say so to my face. I am sure that the bldg. does not want to pay them a full fee, perhaps any fee, as they failed to reach acceptable terms, and in fact could do no better than the full asking amount with not even an option for a second year.

Hopefully my decision will work out. It is a lot of money, however in the end it may cost me $100/$200 a month more to live where I want to as opposed to a walk up on the UES. In two years time I will hopefully be able to secure a higher-paying job or find work in an area where the cost of living is below NYC. As some of you may have read in TIME, housing costs are projected to drop in NYC, because people can't afford the ridiculous rents/mortgages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads