• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

curatedchina

Reaction score
Horween dark cigar shell messenger, just unbelievable (price as well)!
IMG_20191125_195021.jpg

MenWithStyl3

Reaction score
I am looking for a dark brown briefcase and am struggling between Carl Friedrik Palissy and Linjer soft briefcase. Which one do you guys recommend?

Ian Clegg

Reaction score
I am looking for a dark brown briefcase and am struggling between Carl Friedrik Palissy and Linjer soft briefcase. Which one do you guys recommend?

You're getting a higher quality product if you go with Carl Friedrik. I also have a handful of factory seconds. Check out frankclegg.com and let me know if I can be of any help.

Best,
Ian

SDR53

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been researching briefcases and would really appreciate this forum's opinions please.

1. What do people on this forum think of the Bellroy Laptop Brief Designers edition? https://bellroy.com/products/laptop-brief-de/leather/burnt_sienna. The few reviews I have found are all positive but they don't seem to be well known outside of Australia. I bought one of their wallets about 8 years ago and am very happy with it

2. I am leaning towards the Linjer Soft Briefcase, the Carl Friedrik Palissy or the Bellroy I mentioned above. All are a similar price ($700 - $800 AUD). Of those which do you think is best? Are there bags (with a similar design) I should look at that are a bit cheaper? I was originally hoping to spend around $400 - $600 but I want the bag to last me 15+ years so I don't want to sacrifice quality too much.

3. The Frank Clegg Computer Laptop could come within my price range if I get a factory second. Does anybody have experience with their factory seconds? How damaged are they? What sort of discount will typically be applied?

4. All four bags are thinner than the one I used now. Do you think they will be wide enough to carry a laptop, papers (say 100 A4 pages), pens/highlighters, and a lunch box? It would be ideal if it could also fit a small umbrella (in winter) or water bottle (in summer)?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

sclemmons

Reaction score
Save up for the Frank Clegg, get on the mailing list, and check their website for specials. You won't be sorry. Did you see the One of a Kind run?

In the meantime, I might grab a Made in USA Filson canvas bag in a size that works for you. It will last until you are ready to upgrade, and it will be easy to sell on when you are done.

SDR53

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice sclemmons!

I couldn't find any reference to a sale in my online searches so I thought perhaps they never went on sale. Good to know they do. Thanks also for the suggestion re One of a Kind. I've signed up and will keep checking their website.

My current bag isn't in the best condition but it isn't about to fall apart at any moment either so no need re the Filson canvas bag.

I've got my fingers crossed that the Aussie dollar will go back to its glory days of 2011 when it was worth more than the USD :)

SDR53

Reaction score
You're getting a higher quality product if you go with Carl Friedrik. I also have a handful of factory seconds. Check out frankclegg.com and let me know if I can be of any help.

Best,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Just wondering why you say that?

Reading people's opinions online, both bags seem to get very good reviews but I got the impression that the feedback for Linjer was more positive than CF. However, I expect that most of those reviewers are much less knowledgeable than you.

Does one bag use a type of leather that is more prone to scratches than the other?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads