• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Brandeis

Reaction score
I am not sure that I like either of these two suggestions: overstock.com and amazon.com, getting each to rank from most expensive to least.

Next suggestion, far-fetched tho it may be: Call Frank Clegg, Joe Marcellino, Dave Munson or others, pose your question and see if any of them has a solution. I know that Frank himself uses a bag with which something went wrong that perhaps he alone sees. Might be that one of them has something of this sort. These gentlemen are quite responsive.

Finally, if you are in US, or one of you is, keep eyes out at Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, TJ Maxx. Examine closely, go only for known brands.

Zacharrrr

Reaction score
I'll preface this by admitting I don't have experience with him, but given your budget I'd probably go with Henry Tomkins. There are some pictures of his work in thread if you search for them.
Not that I've seen, but I don't pay attention closely enough to give a definitive answer. You can try searching on Ebay, something will pop up occasionally.

PM me. I have a list but it includes too many to mention in one post (probably not specific enough to what you are looking for either)

pls no! post ITT, dont let your knowledge be stored away in someones inbox. post it here for everyone to see, even the lurkers!

Last edited:

leetpuma

Reaction score
I also had one more request to anyone who might know.

Have any of you heard of anyone here that that has templates for making some of these bags?

I would love make my own bag. I think it would be pretty fun to spend a weekend making my own bag :)

Last edited:

Brandeis

Reaction score
Thanks! But somehow I cannot seem to see the pictures.

In front is corner of Frank Clegg English Briefcase. Lawyers Briefcase is behind it.

Frank Clegg Lawyer's Briefcase (cognac)

Frank Clegg English Briefcase (cognac)

top: inside of top flap, cognac Clegg Lawyer's Briefcase; middle: cognac Clegg English Briefcase; bottom:
Glaser Designs Chestnut Deal Bag

Lawyer's and English Briefcases, cognac

Both of these cases are Hartmann belting from late 70's or early 80's,
supposedly cognac, supposedly quite similar to the cognac of today's
Frank Clegg belting. Notice greater patina on one than the other. Don't know why.

kgriegel2

Reaction score
While it is miles away from everything within this thread, I have a love for this Louis Vuitton. I've been searching for something similar; slim profile, flap over, zippered. and I keep coming up empty, everything that thin with zips has side handles, and no flap. Everything with a flap doesn't have a zipper. any ideas?

Brandeis

Reaction score
It looks to me like JP Marcellino and Frank Clegg have on their sites bags to meet your requirements. If I'm missing something, I apologize.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In front is corner of Frank Clegg English Briefcase. Lawyers Briefcase is behind it. Frank Clegg Lawyer's Briefcase (cognac) Frank Clegg English Briefcase (cognac) top: inside of top flap, cognac Clegg Lawyer's Briefcase; middle: cognac Clegg English Briefcase; bottom: Glaser Designs Chestnut Deal Bag Lawyer's and English Briefcases, cognac Both of these cases are Hartmann belting from late 70's or early 80's, supposedly cognac, supposedly quite similar to the cognac of today's Frank Clegg belting. Notice greater patina on one than the other. Don't know why.
Thanks for the pictures!. I think I am sold on the chestnut color!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While it is miles away from everything within this thread, I have a love for this Louis Vuitton. I've been searching for something similar; slim profile, flap over, zippered. and I keep coming up empty, everything that thin with zips has side handles, and no flap. Everything with a flap doesn't have a zipper. any ideas?

I don't like the shoulder strap, as it doesn't match the bag and is embroidered with "Louis Vuitton". The attachment points look (to me) a bit gaudy, too.

However, I actually don't mind LV's Epi leather - it is far and away superior, both in looks and quality, to their monogram and damier canvas ranges, and they look a lot more dignified, too.

kgriegel2

Reaction score
I also don't care for the strap. But I love the size as its been difficult for me to find. I'll have to look at the other places recommended

kgriegel2

Reaction score
It looks to me like JP Marcellino and Frank Clegg have on their sites bags to meet your requirements. If I'm missing something, I apologize.
took a look at both of those, JP Marcellino has a few bags that are the same width, but no zipper. Frank Clegg seems to be a bit wider. It seems to be very hard to find a bag with the flap and zipper. I'd like the zipper for security if my laptop is in the bag, and the flap for aesthetics. It's a difficult find.

leetpuma

Reaction score
took a look at both of those, JP Marcellino has a few bags that are the same width, but no zipper. Frank Clegg seems to be a bit wider. It seems to be very hard to find a bag with the flap and zipper. I'd like the zipper for security if my laptop is in the bag, and the flap for aesthetics. It's a difficult find.

Just buy a flap bag then have someone after market add in the zipper closure aftermarket.
If you have 3.5K to spend on a bag you can easily get someone to add a zipper in town for definitely less than that bag.

kgriegel2

Reaction score

Just buy a flap bag then have someone after market add in the zipper closure aftermarket.
If you have 3.5K to spend on a bag you can easily get someone to add a zipper in town for definitely less than that bag.

I don't have 3.5k to spend on a bag. Hence why I asked about an alternative.

leetpuma

Reaction score
I don't have 3.5k to spend on a bag. Hence why I asked about an alternative.
Oh I see. I missed that while reading. But sewing in your own zipper section to a regular bag would not be all that hard.

Or get an regular laptop bag with no zipper pouch but get a zippable laptop sleeve. That way you can secure the laptop without any problems. (You may have to attach the sleeve to the bag but that should be as simple as a few drops of barge rubber cement)
http://www.amazon.com/Sleeves-Slipcases-Accessories/b?ie=UTF8&node=335609011
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-LA...609011_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406236028&sr=1-3

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads