• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brand New 10D AE Thayer Monkstraps in Brown Burnished Calf

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new pair of Allen Edmonds Thayer Monkstraps (on the #8 last) in 10D in the very nice brown burnished calf. These are great shoes but are too narrow for my feet. I like the Tempest leather/rubber combination tap sole because you can't tell it's not all leather without looking under the shoe.

They do not come with box or bags but are brand new and unworn. Also, the left shoe has no size or last markings for whatever reason, but they are indeed the same shoe and size, and it has a very slight fade perhaps due to being on display. It's hardly noticeable and nothing a little polish won't fix but I thought I'd mention it nonetheless.

I don't have pics but they are the same as these sold online for $300+. They are a current AE model and are not seconds afaict. My price is $180 including shipping in North America. PM or email me for paypal details. Thanks
smile.gif

ae5lc8.jpg

ae7lh1.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/19246762/c/6.html

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...+thayer&offer=

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-...9458435&sr=1-1

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
nice nice nice

Not decadent?
blush.gif

These are for sale and I'll drop the price to $165 with shipping for these brand new AEs!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
the only decadent AE shoe i have ever seen were the shell cordovan McNeils. the McNeils belong to the upper echelons of shoe luxury imo.

Not surprising, and I agree with you. Going with AE with the shell cordovan doesn't really have much of a trade off as it would for calfskin compared to top of the line Continental or English shoes - the material quality is as high as it possibly can be for shell, since everybody uses the same grade, more or less. The differences are going to be in the guts of the shoe, the last, and the sole finishing. But not in the quality of uppers, which is uniform for Horween Shell cordovan. I think AE uses redenbach soles for the shell cordovan shoes, so even the soles are fairly top notch.

And seriously, if you're getting a shell cordovan long wingtip, you should get an American "gunboat" last with a round toe. A long wingtip on a sleek, chiseled last is just wrong.

modmica

Reaction score
I like that Thayer a whole lot -- I'll have to keep an out for a pair in my size. All the gushing about the MacNeils and it turns out that the hitching post has a new pair of MacNeils in shell cordovan in my size (12D) on ebay right at this moment. Opening bid is $250 and BIN is $425.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
sorry EL for us derailing your thread here,

but that ebay auction for bin 425 mcneil cordovan ...you can get a better deal right now this minute at the Allen edmond store in south coast

they have a 20% off coupon off any one shoe till end of september. that brings the cordovan mcneil down to $400 out the door.

these thayers at this price by EL is still the best price out there anywhere for brand new in the box thayer right now.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sooooooooooooooo... anyone want to buy these AE Thayers?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fed cuts the interest rate so I'm cutting the price. Shoes are now $160 with shipping, which is already below my cost, and I'm offering them for TODAY ONLY at $150 with shipping if I can get paypal funds today.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks shoe. Perhaps one lucky buyer can get both for $300 - less than the price of one new AE!!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this up. If it's a matter of seeing pics of the actual shoes, I can try and take some but what you see in the stock photos is what you get - a really nice pair of new brown monkstraps for less than 1/2 the retail price!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads