• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

woolymammoth

Reaction score

Great looking bows Wooly, where did you buy those?

Hermes, New York.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the most hideous abominations ever posted to this forum. A massive spam marketing fail...

Last edited:

ncdobson

Reaction score
^^^^Beautiful! The yellow is a very subtle background for the contrasting blue and brown. Bravo.

steveabdn

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the hang of tying a bow tie, although I don't normally wear one I'm getting married this year and I want to be comfortable in the tying of one.

I'm fine until the last bit unsurprisingly but when you bring it up round the back and through the loop I lose a lot of tension in the knot

Does anyone have any advice how to combat this? Or tighten once finished?

Thanks,
Steve

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

someone mentioned not to wear them with a 2 button suit? Is that true?

Yes and no.

A bow tie, with a 2-button suit, can leave a significant expanse of shirt front showing. Maybe too much shirt. Depends to a great extent on the suit, and the build of the man wearing it. And on one's personal taste, of course.

So some men prefer to wear a bow tie only with a 3-button suit (or at least a 2-button suit which has a somewhat high button stance). Or only with a 3-piece suit. Or only when wearing a sweater (or sweater vest) with the 2-button suit.

Other men find the 2-button suit w/bow tie look to be entirely unobjectionable, don't think regard it as any sartorial sin to show some shirt front, and don't worry about the whole thing.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm fine until the last bit unsurprisingly but when you bring it up round the back and through the loop I lose a lot of tension in the knot

Does anyone have any advice how to combat this? Or tighten once finished?

It's actually almost identical to tying your shoe laces. So, what do you do to combat your shoe laces from losing tension when you get to the part of the tying experience where you bring it around and through the loop? How do you tighten your shoe laces once finished?

Or do you just accept that your shoe laces need only be tight enough, and not necessarily any tighter than that? In which case, why not adopt a similar attitude with regard to your bow tie?

Well, just a thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads