• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple cheap bow ties from the tie bar several weeks ago to see how they look on me. Last week, I wore a striped lavender seersucker bow tie with a Brooks Brother Khaki suit and I received tons of complements from my co-workers, a few men but mostly the women. I haven't seen much talk on the forum about bow ties but want to see how many people wear them and the best place to purchase them? The Ben Silver catalog has a good selection but none of them appealed to me, same with Brooks Brothers. I found several that I like on Drake's website but shipping to the US is very expensive.

Any suggestions? I want a navy, red/burgundy and orange bow tie for starters.

Love this pic of Chalky with a bow tie...want one!!

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had exceptional luck for the last several years with The Cordial Churchman. She converted a tartan wool necktie to a bow tie for me a few years back; I've since picked up a seersucker/madras reversible and a brown fine corduroy. Her selection is worth a look.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have had exceptional luck for the last several years with The Cordial Churchman. She converted a tartan wool necktie to a bow tie for me a few years back; I've since picked up a seersucker/madras reversible and a brown fine corduroy. Her selection is worth a look.

Thanks for the link.

Hard to believe there's not more people on this board that wear bow ties. Especially with tweed/wool becoming more popular.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe there's not more people on this board that wear bow ties.

I wear them quite a lot. I have some interesting ones from Dolbeau and Engineered Garments as well as more traditional ones from the likes of Asprey. Here's a shot from last year (excuse the messy background; I was in the process of moving things around the office at the time): EG bow-tie, MTM navy/midnight blue herringbone jacket,CT white shirt, dark blue vest and simple cotton square. I think I was wearing burgundy cords with this.

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great Monkey...do you guys think its OK to wear a bow tie with a spread collar?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks great Monkey...do you guys think its OK to wear a bow tie with a spread collar?

I don't particularly like that look. I know it's poison to some here to wear a tie with a OCBD, but I usually use a button-down collar with bow ties.

Other than that, my only point-collar shirt is for use with bow ties and formal wear. In fact, I was in a hurry to buy a formal shirt for an impromptu invite to a black-tie event and the SA at Brooks Brothers was adamant about a point collar with a bow tie.

dustinmyself

Reaction score
So what should be the collar of choice for a bow tie!?

Point?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn a bow tie with the Brooks Brothers Ainsley collar which is a medium, not a full spread collar, and it looked fine.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a couple bow ties from Ed at Panta Clothing. I've bought several ties from Ed and he's a great guy!!

I'm in need of this burnt orange bow tie!! From FaneurNYC's link.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't particularly like that look. I know it's poison to some here to wear a tie with a OCBD, but I usually use a button-down collar with bow ties.
Other than that, my only point-collar shirt is for use with bow ties and formal wear. In fact, I was in a hurry to buy a formal shirt for an impromptu invite to a black-tie event and the SA at Brooks Brothers was adamant about a point collar with a bow tie.

For me, with almost any style except spread collars. Most of my formal shirts are semi-spread collars which just about works, but point are best for standard bow-ties IMHO. OCBD, yeah, absolutely - with more informal bow-ties. (And of course, wing collar with black or white tie, for those who can)

FillW

Reaction score
Hey, post more pics of you guys in bow ties. I just learned how to tie them. I will wear one out this weekend at night to see how people react.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today...

This is a reversible sage green and navy raw silk tie from Dolbeau of Montreal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads