1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bow Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cuttingboard, Sep 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I bought a couple cheap bow ties from the tie bar several weeks ago to see how they look on me. Last week, I wore a striped lavender seersucker bow tie with a Brooks Brother Khaki suit and I received tons of complements from my co-workers, a few men but mostly the women. I haven't seen much talk on the forum about bow ties but want to see how many people wear them and the best place to purchase them? The Ben Silver catalog has a good selection but none of them appealed to me, same with Brooks Brothers. I found several that I like on Drake's website but shipping to the US is very expensive.

Any suggestions? I want a navy, red/burgundy and orange bow tie for starters.

Love this pic of Chalky with a bow tie...want one!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I have had exceptional luck for the last several years with The Cordial Churchman. She converted a tartan wool necktie to a bow tie for me a few years back; I've since picked up a seersucker/madras reversible and a brown fine corduroy. Her selection is worth a look.

3. Cuttingboard

Thanks for the link.

Hard to believe there's not more people on this board that wear bow ties. Especially with tweed/wool becoming more popular.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I wear them quite a lot. I have some interesting ones from Dolbeau and Engineered Garments as well as more traditional ones from the likes of Asprey. Here's a shot from last year (excuse the messy background; I was in the process of moving things around the office at the time): EG bow-tie, MTM navy/midnight blue herringbone jacket,CT white shirt, dark blue vest and simple cotton square. I think I was wearing burgundy cords with this.
    [​IMG]

5. Cuttingboard

Looks great Monkey...do you guys think its OK to wear a bow tie with a spread collar?

6. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I don't particularly like that look. I know it's poison to some here to wear a tie with a OCBD, but I usually use a button-down collar with bow ties.

Other than that, my only point-collar shirt is for use with bow ties and formal wear. In fact, I was in a hurry to buy a formal shirt for an impromptu invite to a black-tie event and the SA at Brooks Brothers was adamant about a point collar with a bow tie.

1 person likes this.
  7. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

So what should be the collar of choice for a bow tie!?

Point?

8. Cuttingboard

I've worn a bow tie with the Brooks Brothers Ainsley collar which is a medium, not a full spread collar, and it looked fine.

1 person likes this.
  9. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

10. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

11. Cuttingboard

I just bought a couple bow ties from Ed at Panta Clothing. I've bought several ties from Ed and he's a great guy!!

I'm in need of this burnt orange bow tie!! From FaneurNYC's link.

[​IMG]

12. FlyingMonkey

For me, with almost any style except spread collars. Most of my formal shirts are semi-spread collars which just about works, but point are best for standard bow-ties IMHO. OCBD, yeah, absolutely - with more informal bow-ties. (And of course, wing collar with black or white tie, for those who can)

13. FillW

FillW Senior member

Hey, post more pics of you guys in bow ties. I just learned how to tie them. I will wear one out this weekend at night to see how people react.

14. FlyingMonkey

Today...
    [​IMG]
    This is a reversible sage green and navy raw silk tie from Dolbeau of Montreal.

15. Braddock

Braddock Senior member

Button down.

16. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I love purple and green together.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  17. Cuttingboard

Me too!

18. FillW

FillW Senior member

The funny thing is: I'm not interested in wearing normal ties in the least. I just think bow ties are so cool! I don't know what it is about them.

19. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I've been making my own bow ties recently. Here is one I made yesterday out of an old tie I never wore. The best part about making them for yourself is that you dont really have to bother making them adjustable so you just have to make each side then connect them in the middle. For this one I used a piece of ribbon cut to the length I needed.

[​IMG]

20. wyardley

wyardley Member

I think the point collars look nice, however, I have noticed recently that most of the marcella front turndown collar formal shirts available via Brooks Brothers, as well as British makers like Turnbull & Asser (who I think would do a fairly traditional design), etc. are semi-spread. Paul Stuart and Kent Wang have longer ones.

I think wing collar with black tie is more common in the US than elsewhere, but still not preferred by a lot of style authorities.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012