1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bow Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cuttingboard, Sep 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I appear to be in the minority here, but I think there's something particularly dashing about a bow tie with a spread collar.

2. FillW

FillW Senior member

Cool idea!

What's the deal on the pointy ends of your bow tie? Is that a certain style?

3. wyardley

wyardley Member

"Diamond point". You will find diamond point ends on both butterfly and batwing style ties.

4. FillW

FillW Senior member

How do you get the long part to stay straight and wide as it comes down over the tie from the back while also keeping the tie snug? I seem to have to tighten it and make that "knot" smaller. Yours looks like one of those clip-on ties they sell. (I know it probably isn't though)

5. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

6. wyardley

wyardley Member

Me (as a guest) at a summer wedding... tie is by Cordial Churchman (yeah, I think the point on the other side should be sticking out a bit more).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  8. FlyingMonkey

It certainly isn't! And the simple answer is practice. I did also spend some time looking at various videos online on how to tie bow ties a few years back. This particular tie looks so neat largely because of the shape of the tie itself, which is square-ended and narrow.

9. FillW

FillW Senior member

I finally went out last Friday night wearing the black bowtie. I had to see people's reactions to how I look wearing it.

I have to report that I was really astonished on the positive reactions I got from both sexes. Most of whom came up to me while I sat and had drinks. The women actually went out of thier way to tell me they thought I "looked good" is how most of them put it. If they didn't comment they at least had a smile on thier faces and a friendly pat on the shoulder. The guys who commented on it were mostly guys I see quite a bit but they were all positive as well. Guys must not wear bowties very much cause people acted like they had never seen anyone wear one before. It was pretty funny!

I wore the bowtie with an inexpensive off-white jacket that fits me well with a white dress shirt. I had a bit of tailoring done to it (waist suppression and sleeve shortening). I also wore black non-iron pants and black loafers.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

11. FillW

FillW Senior member

Bitte?

[​IMG]

12. FlyingMonkey

This tends to happen. I was wearing my plaid EG bow tie (as in the pic on the first page of this, but as part of a slightly different combo) when I was in New York and a (rather hot) lady of a certain age, who had given me an approving look as she walked past, actually turned around and ran back to tell me that she loved the way I was dressed, particularly the bow tie!

13. FillW

FillW Senior member

To be honest I was apprehensive about wearing it out. I was kinda worried about whether or not it would keep getting crooked and look funny. I was also concerned about the shirt collar being tight around my neck. I have a wierd thing about feeling like I'm being "choked". lol

I soon forgot about all that and found myself enjoying the attention.

14. FillW

FillW Senior member

I think I'll wear it again this weekend but this time I'll team it up with a black SC, white silk PS and either dark grey or light grey slacks. I want to see if the compliments keep coming.

I wore a white silk pocket square with it last week. That may be a SF faux pas but I don't have a white linen PS yet. Need to get one!

15. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

I wore a bow tie for the first time this weekend and received nothing but compliments from men and women alike. I especially got a lot of attention from women who expressed that they like the fact that a man would take the time to present such a great look and go counter to the prevailing slob-wear. Several encouraged me to wear them more often.

Naturally, I will pick up a couple more soon. :)

16. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Code:

I bought a couple from Ed at Panta...very nice and great quality. Always enjoy buying from Ed!

17. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Originally being from Texas myself, I understand what a big complement this is!

Ladies love bow ties and I love ladies!

18. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

I wear a bowtie to profess in every day, & a colleague suggested that I make my own. I have no sewing experience, so I went to YouTube to look for a primer. There were some videos, but they all seemed to leave out middle steps that I needed to see as a newbie. Can you point to any sources to help a beginner learn to sew a bowtie?

19. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Bow tie sources: Drake's, Ben Silver, Pierrepoint Hicks, and there's an Etsy seller, VaVa Bow Ties, who has very English colourful woven silks. Remember: only wear with 3 button jackets, DB or a vest.

20. FillW

FillW Senior member

I was down in Austin a few years ago expecting to see guys dressed in western/cowboy clothes. Most were dressed like Easterners. lol
    (Yuppies or Hip-hop)

The ladies either said they liked "the look" or just that they liked the tie.

I don't think it was just the tie but the entire combo in my case.

Yeah, I'd like to try out other ties and looked at a few last weekend. It's fun, that's for sure!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012