Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bow Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cuttingboard, Sep 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I love purple and green together.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

2. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Me too!

3. FillW

FillW Senior member

The funny thing is: I'm not interested in wearing normal ties in the least. I just think bow ties are so cool! I don't know what it is about them.

4. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I've been making my own bow ties recently. Here is one I made yesterday out of an old tie I never wore. The best part about making them for yourself is that you dont really have to bother making them adjustable so you just have to make each side then connect them in the middle. For this one I used a piece of ribbon cut to the length I needed.

[​IMG]

5. wyardley

wyardley Member

I think the point collars look nice, however, I have noticed recently that most of the marcella front turndown collar formal shirts available via Brooks Brothers, as well as British makers like Turnbull & Asser (who I think would do a fairly traditional design), etc. are semi-spread. Paul Stuart and Kent Wang have longer ones.

I think wing collar with black tie is more common in the US than elsewhere, but still not preferred by a lot of style authorities.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

6. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I appear to be in the minority here, but I think there's something particularly dashing about a bow tie with a spread collar.

7. FillW

FillW Senior member

Cool idea!

What's the deal on the pointy ends of your bow tie? Is that a certain style?

8. wyardley

wyardley Member

"Diamond point". You will find diamond point ends on both butterfly and batwing style ties.

9. FillW

FillW Senior member

How do you get the long part to stay straight and wide as it comes down over the tie from the back while also keeping the tie snug? I seem to have to tighten it and make that "knot" smaller. Yours looks like one of those clip-on ties they sell. (I know it probably isn't though)

10. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

11. wyardley

wyardley Member

Me (as a guest) at a summer wedding... tie is by Cordial Churchman (yeah, I think the point on the other side should be sticking out a bit more).
    [​IMG]

12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

13. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

It certainly isn't! And the simple answer is practice. I did also spend some time looking at various videos online on how to tie bow ties a few years back. This particular tie looks so neat largely because of the shape of the tie itself, which is square-ended and narrow.

14. FillW

FillW Senior member

I finally went out last Friday night wearing the black bowtie. I had to see people's reactions to how I look wearing it.

I have to report that I was really astonished on the positive reactions I got from both sexes. Most of whom came up to me while I sat and had drinks. The women actually went out of thier way to tell me they thought I "looked good" is how most of them put it. If they didn't comment they at least had a smile on thier faces and a friendly pat on the shoulder. The guys who commented on it were mostly guys I see quite a bit but they were all positive as well. Guys must not wear bowties very much cause people acted like they had never seen anyone wear one before. It was pretty funny!

I wore the bowtie with an inexpensive off-white jacket that fits me well with a white dress shirt. I had a bit of tailoring done to it (waist suppression and sleeve shortening). I also wore black non-iron pants and black loafers.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

15. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member