• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always kept a small bar out at my place in the Smokies. Came across the photo and kind of laughed about how probably 4 or 5 of those bottles are effectively unicorns, and I kept these out there because I didn’t need them at home lol

View attachment 2124417

IMG_8627.gif

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got picked to receive one of these in a lil local raffle type thang. Immediately opened.

Immediately lovely.

View attachment 2124627

Saw this and wanted to give it a whirl but it was $105 in my area, which gave me pause.

Not to make everything about price, but as someone who doesn’t really frequent bars anymore (young kids at home) and therefor isn’t able to try a bunch of diff bourbons frequently, these new high prices make it tough to gamble and try new things. Especially when I know I can grab a known banger of a bottle of whiskey for the same or less.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While i cant say for sure if it's worth it to anyone but me, I definitely feel like it's worth the price point. I tend to divide the price by 12, and ask myself if I'd pay that for a 2oz pour in a bar or restaurant.

Definitely would here.

But i also thoroughly enjoy evan williams bonded and JTS brown bonded so I'm not strictly a "social media trending expensive bottles only" kinda guy.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah the 18 is a unicorn.
I'm guessing the Glendronach 15 is also old fill (ie. spirit from pre-distillery closing) meaning it is also unicorn-ish.

Yep, that photo was probably from 2011 or 2012 I’m thinking; so you’re probably correct there. Amazing how those markets have changed in just 10 years

ricoishere

Reaction score
What is your favorite and how do you take it?

Booker's and I take it neat or as an Old Fashioned. As for other bourbon cocktails, such as the Manhattan or Mint Julep, I turn to Maker's Mark. Maker's adds just the right amount of sweetness and I feel less bad clouding its taste than say I would with a more premium bourbon.
I can’t say I have a favorite however I prefer bolder spirits. Tonight enjoying Knob Creek 9yo 100 Proof in a Manhattan.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knob Creek 9 is possibly the best value/quality ratio bourbon available. Literally you can buy at Walmart. It’s because we’re so “familiar” with it that it doesn’t get the admiration it deserves

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Knob Creek 9 is possibly the best value/quality ratio bourbon available. Literally you can buy at Walmart. It’s because we’re so “familiar” with it that it doesn’t get the admiration it deserves

I don’t disagree with you here. I’ve also had a few store picks over the years that were only slightly more expensive than the mainstream 9 which were mind blowingly good for the price. I think the consensus is that Knob Creek is just Booker’s mash bill with some extra age but without the precise rickhouse geography that is part of the secret to Booker’s releases. I have a bottle of 18 year old Knob I bought at the Spec’s bourbon drop this year that I have high hopes for!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the precise rickhouse geography that is part of the secret to Booker’s releases

Amateur question - does the location of where the barrels in the storehouse really make that big a difference in the outcome? I've read that higher up, means more evaporation/higher proof but other than that I have no idea how placement impacts flavor/complexity/notes...

ricoishere

Reaction score
Got picked to receive one of these in a lil local raffle type thang. Immediately opened.

Immediately lovely.

View attachment 2124627
I rarely drink, but on business trips I always stopped at dusty liquor stores, and would find gems. I’m finishing up my wine room, and I started opening boxes, and realized I have more liquor I’ll consume in the next 10 years, including several William Larue Weller and Pappy
Amateur question - does the location of where the barrels in the storehouse really make that big a difference in the outcome? I've read that higher up, means more evaporation/higher proof but other than that I have no idea how placement impacts flavor/complexity/notes...
Not an amateur question at all! But yes it does make a difference... The temp, humidity, even amount of daylight will make a difference.

Featured Sponsor

With US Luxury Spending Down 11%, Have You Also Cut Back?

• Yes, I’ve reduced my luxury spending.

• No, my luxury spending has stayed the same.

• No, I’ve actually increased my luxury spending.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmar