• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon Anyone?

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I have become hooked on Maker's Mark BOurbon thanks to a thread a while back. That has become my alcohol of choice. I have finished the bottle I bought and am looking for a new bourbon to try. Any suggestions? How can I use it to grill a steak if at all possible? Thanks for the help!!!!

mbc

Reaction score
Maker's is a great bourbon. I also enjoy Knob Creek and Eagle Rare.

vonwotan

Reaction score
Makers Mark is good but I find it a bit sweet sometimes. Knob Creek is my go to bourbon, but if just sipping a glass Bookers is my poison.

v0rtex

Reaction score
My girlfriend bought me a bottle of Woodford Reserve recently. Not much experience with bourbon here either (more of a scotch drinker) but it's pretty delicious, especially mixed with a bit of sweet vermouth and a dash of bitters.

minimal

Reaction score
Maker's Mark is good stuff, you can't go wrong there. I have that and a bottle of Hirsch, which is *really* good stuff.

csandbothe

Reaction score
My favorite hard liquor. My cabinet currently has Evan Williams Single Barrel and Elijah Craig 12 year old. They are both exceptional, particularly for the money.

Hey my first post!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a bargain bourbon, go for Evan Williams. It's tasty, mixes well (although I prefer bourbon neat or with a splash of water), and is pretty damn cheap. I'm talking $14 for a liter.

mwrenchd

Reaction score
To be called bourbon, the grain content must consist of at least 51% corn. The remainder is a mixture of malted barley and either rye or wheat. Most "traditional" bourbons use rye as the 2nd grain, which give the spicier, hot profile that many people associate with bourbon. Makers falls into the 2nd category - it is a wheated bourbon that uses (obviously) wheat as the 2nd grain in the mashbill. Wheated bourbons typically are sweeter and a bit smoother on the palate than their rye brethren. In that regard, Makers and other wheateds are a common place to start for people new to bourbon. If you want to stick with wheated bourbons for the time being, then your choices are fairly limited. The widely-distributed wheated are Makers, the Van Winkle lines, W.L Weller, and Old Fitzgerald, listed in order of probable availability. Most folks rave about the Van Winkle bourbons (in 10, 12, 15-yo varieties), and I have to agree -- they are a fine, fine pour. The older Van Winkles (20, 23yr) use a rye-mashbill, however. They are quite excellent but are not considered wheated bourbons. The WL Weller 12-yr I think is an excellent choice for a good wheated bourbon at a good value. It is cheaper than the standard red-wax Makers and, in my opinion, a better whiskey. For a somewhat more traditional but still smooth and accessible taste profile, Eagle Rare SB 10-yr is a safe bet. Easy to find and a great price. I also have been very fond of most of the Birthday Bourbon bottlings from Old Forester, though the price has been steadily moving up in the more recent vintages. I would also urge you to try the more rye-heavy bourbons out there too. Wild Turkey is probably the best known and most widely available rye-heavy bourbon. The WT Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit, and Russell's Reserve bottlings are all quite good, in my opinion. Compared to Makers and the other wheateds it might seem like an entirely different drink!
smile.gif
That should cover a lot of ground in the bourbon world, in terms of narrowing down your preferences, without breaking the bank. Once you move up to the more premium/superpremium bourbons, opinions can vary pretty wildly and really is a matter of individual preference, so I'll refrain from making any recommendations there. Finally, for anyone overseas in Europe or Japan, give Four Roses (especially the Small Batch) a try. It is one of the few bourbons widely available overseas and is vastly superior to Jim Beam, which you'll often find sitting next to it. Sadly, it is not distributed outside of Kentucky in the U.S..

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, Maker's Mark is too sweet. I tried a glass and just wasn't blown away. Now, Wild Turkey 101...there's a bourbon. A splash of water really opens up the nose on this one.

darin_arrick

Reaction score
Buffalo Trace. Mmmmmm. I've only tried a few bourbons (I'm more of a Scotch man...so far
wink.gif
), but that one leads my list of favorites. Smooth and sweet, caramel...like candy. It's on my "basic bar stock list" for when I get a bar. :)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darin_arrick
Buffalo Trace. Mmmmmm.

I've only tried a few bourbons (I'm more of a Scotch man...so far
wink.gif
), but that one leads my list of favorites. Smooth and sweet, caramel...like candy. It's on my "basic bar stock list" for when I get a bar. :)

Hmm, never tried it. I'm also a scotch man first and foremost, but I've been hitting the bourbon lately. Dunno why. Change of pace, I guess, and the fact that I can't really afford any good single malts.
laugh.gif

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Now, Wild Turkey 101...there's a bourbon. A splash of water really opens up the nose on this one.

Ah, yes, the Kickin' Chicken. As much as I love bourbon, though, my favorite whiskey is Irish. Some higher end Jamesons or some Tullamore Dew with a capfull of spriing water is pure heaven. In fact, I'm gonna go the liquor cabinet now and indulge.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Ah, yes, the Kickin' Chicken. As much as I love bourbon, though, my favorite whiskey is Irish. Some higher end Jamesons or some Tullamore Dew with a capfull of spriing water is pure heaven. In fact, I'm gonna go the liquor cabinet now and indulge.

Jameson's is great stuff, I agree. I still haven't had Tullamore Dew...better than J's?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Jameson's is great stuff, I agree. I still haven't had Tullamore Dew...better than J's?

Well, I prefer the highest end Jameson's (15 yrs?) to just about anything. But Tullamore Dew vs. run of the mill Jamesons, I'll take TD anytime. It's a lighter, sweeter whiskey, but very nice.

Part of my preference lies in the climate where I live. Bourbon is a heavier whiskey and I find the Irish stuff a bit lighter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics