• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon Anyone?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big problem with Bourbon, which I saw when I lived in the US, was it tends to be available regionally, rather than nationally. I lived in South Florida, and could rarely find anything with regularity other than Old Fitz, or Makers.

1BNY23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mwrenchd
I would also urge you to try the more rye-heavy bourbons out there too. Wild Turkey is probably the best known and most widely available rye-heavy bourbon. The WT Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit, and Russell's Reserve bottlings are all quite good, in my opinion. Compared to Makers and the other wheateds it might seem like an entirely different drink!
smile.gif

+1 Rare Breed w/ a splash of water is an outstanding pour! It's my daily though Maker's is always available for my less discerning guests.

Tyto

Reaction score
Blanton's is my favorite bourbon in current production. But as much as I like Blanton's, Hirsch is in a different league. As far as the highest-priced bottle, the 20-year Hirsch now exceeds $250 (assuming you can even find it).

My "every day" bourbons (back when I had a drink with any regularity) were Elijah Craig 12, Knob Creek, and Maker's.

It's funny--I haven't had a drink of distilled alcohol since December, but the one week of the year I can't have any whiskey, I'm nearly overcome by the desire to pour one.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Passover Tyto.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyto
Blanton's is my favorite bourbon in current production. But as much as I like Blanton's, Hirsch is in a different league. As far as the highest-priced bottle, the 20-year Hirsch now exceeds $250 (assuming you can even find it).

My "every day" bourbons (back when I had a drink with any regularity) were Elijah Craig 12, Knob Creek, and Maker's.

It's funny--I haven't had a drink of distilled alcohol since December, but the one week of the year I can't have any whiskey, I'm nearly overcome by the desire to pour one.

Is Knob Creek as good as they say? IMO, Maker's Mark is just too damn sweet. Is KC a bit less sweet?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Knob Creek is quite hot. I call it the Knobber. When I drink it, I refer to the act as knobbing.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Knob Creek is quite hot. I call it the Knobber. When I drink it, I refer to the act as knobbing.

Evan Williams is hot, but not the hottest bourbon I have. I assume Knob Creek is even "hotter"? Either way, I'm intent to try it. How much will a liter run ya? (NY state)

Stax

Reaction score
My favorite everyday bourbon is Maker's. My favorite premium bourbon is Black Maple Hill
bmh.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
My favorite everyday bourbon is Maker's. My favorite premium bourbon is Black Maple Hill
bmh.jpg

I've heard good things about Black Maple (from some older bourbon fans). What would a liter bottle run you? Is this a $50+ bourbon?

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've heard good things about Black Maple (from some older bourbon fans). What would a liter bottle run you? Is this a $50+ bourbon?

depending on the year, $85 - $125 a bottle.

Stax

Reaction score
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

The youngest BMH I've ever seen in a store was 16 year old. They may sell a younger bourbon that is closer to $50.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evan Williams is hot, but not the hottest bourbon I have. I assume Knob Creek is even "hotter"? Either way, I'm intent to try it. How much will a liter run ya? (NY state)

Knob Creek should be available for $30 or less. If you want "hot" try Booker's - anywhere from 125 to 130 proof. It's a runaway freight train.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Ah, yes, the Kickin' Chicken. As much as I love bourbon, though, my favorite whiskey is Irish. Some higher end Jamesons or some Tullamore Dew with a capfull of spriing water is pure heaven. In fact, I'm gonna go the liquor cabinet now and indulge.

I actually was in Ireland a few weeks ago and had a chance to go to the Bushmills distillery. Great stuff- although I was a bourbon man in the past I am really sold on the Irish whiskey now. They triple distill the stuff and they age it in old whiskey barrells they buy from US whiskey makers (in the US they can only age in brand new barrells- thus the old ones are sold). I especially like the Bushmills Blackbush. I had a chance to pick up a bottle of Bushmills 12 year reserve which is only sold AT the distillery. I haven't opened it yet-- saving the first drink for when I find out my bar results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads