• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino vs. Borsalino Doria

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding straight Borsalino caps vs. those in the Borsalino Doria or Borsalino Doria Gruppo line I note the former tend to be more expensive (neither is exactly cheap) but it is a bit confused in that some of the sellers of Dorias seem to intentionally not mention the line in their descriptions.
Just spoke with a salesman and the marvelous JJ Hat Center on Fifth Avenue in NY, where I purchased my last Borsalino (cap) in 2001 and inquired about this. They apparently have both types of Borsalinos. He is a long-term salesman there; he said he sees no difference in quality or workmanship - probably a matter of different materials and/or made in different places. Hmmmm....
I also asked him about my uncertainty as to wool vs. cashmere in wearability or warmth for a men's cold weather cap and he stated he also sees no appreciable difference.
When I got my wonderful cap there in '01 I don't believe I had seen any "Doria" caps anywhere.
Can anyone share any more information on these topics? Are all Borsalinos supposed to be made in Italy again? The first Borsalino I bought (a black fedora), I was sort of sorry to find out, was made in the U.S. during a short period when Borsalino had an arrangement with a U.S. hat manufacturer.
eh.gif

Reaction score
I found a thread elsewhere about the Doria line and they seemed to have detangled the issue well. I have a linen Doria cap for the spring/summer seasons. No complaints whatsoever with regards to quality. The fit is great, I find I am in between sizes in Christys. Off topic but for fall/winter, Wiggens has monopolized my crown.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the top three hat companies I've been considering for my latest cap purchase, but after trying on scores at many a place, as usual, I just settled on the Brooks Brothers all-cashmere ivy. Originally costs far more but I waited for the 50% off sale beginning today. Hope it lasts at least as long as the Borsalino I'm replacing (almost 8 years, to the day). To my inquiries regarding cashmere vs. wool the salesman said the cashmere should be warmer but is "more delicate." When I pressed for further information, such as how it is in the snow, he just suggested how I should dry it off - but the same as with wool. As for cleaning, he had no special info. to contribute. I do, after all, go with these hats to our excellent hat shop which specializes in cleaning hats.
smile.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
I found a thread elsewhere about the Doria line and they seemed to have detangled the issue well.
I have a linen Doria cap for the spring/summer seasons. No complaints whatsoever with regards to quality. The fit is great, I find I am in between sizes in Christys.

Off topic but for fall/winter, Wiggens has monopolized my crown.

Wiggens indeed has the best style, if you don't want to look like a British retiree.

Reaction score
^ my wiggens newsboy cap has hidden earflaps! i was debating the merits of a F/W weight Borsalino vs. the wiggens and the earflaps tipped the scales

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like ear flaps as a style, but when Hudson's winds blow I relent.
The visor curved shape and proportion to the rest of the cap makes it the most stylish cap I have seen. Sort of retro looking and youngish as I already mentioned.
I bought two. Fall version in black ribbed cotton and Winter version in grey Harris Tweed.
I love them.

Reaction score
mine is harris tweed

frankly, i only use the earflaps on the coldest days, and only when i have the hood of my parka up, or if no one is around

very high can-collector vibe with the earflaps down

(they do fold up and into the cap so they are invisible when not in use)

chas

Reaction score
I was in Italy over the holiday and I was bummed to find that the Borsalino factory store in Alessandria was closed. However, I did go to the Borsalino retail store in Alessandria and they had an amazing selection. I picked up a newsboy for myself and a more traditional hat as a gift.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wigens hats I've tried on also had the flaps. I don't care for the look but if I wore the hat under my duffel coat hood they wouldn't be seen. It's funny but I tried on a Wigens in our Nordstrom's and it was actually more comfortable with the flaps tucked in than with them down. All I could figure out is that there was some sort of uncomfortable rough material, like some elastic, set within the hat and the flaps, when up, covered it up. I remember Wigens with the flaps because I associate the flaps with the cold winters of Sweden, but actually Cleveland, Ohio is colder than parts of that county.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I got a Wigens - at one of my very good men's stores and at 30% off (though I think they gave the retail price as higher than some other stores would....).
One thing that sold me was the warmth - great for my waiting for buses and walking in this kind of weather. Definitely a heavier hat than my wool/cashmere Luigi Brini, with the flaps and all. Yes, the flaps surely make it warmer even when within. I like the sewed visor (or whatever it's called) - very neat. I was noticing the design balance on the LB isn't that perfect, though many expensive, high quality caps are also asymetrical. Not considered imporant, apparently, as it might with a shirt, sweater, etc. Not quite as good with my Burberry scarf but it's okay, and would be good both both duffel coats - great. Now I hope I can return the LB, and I don't really want a due bill with this almost entirely hat store. The place where I got the Wigens also has a "final sale" policy, but the guy said I could buy something else, and they've got lots of great ties, etc.
smile.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This new cap seems to be meticulously woven. It's Harris Tweed and was woven in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland, the label says. I notice tiny, extremely delicate threads coming out of the fabric (no, not like what became of my Borsalino cap after many years of steady cold-season wear) - all part of the show, no doubt. I tried one some Irish caps a few weeks ago and they seemed similar - heavy wool and seemed very warm. Perhaps flaps, too. Less money, though.
teacha.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now purchased another Borsalino wool cap at an antique shop, and this one has the "Doria" label. Made in Italy. Looks in excellent condition and well made - the newboy type with the button. Very nice tweed. Someone above said he spoke with someone who straightened out where the "Doria" fits in but I don't see what he found out! Meanwhile, I guess I'll go with what that JJ Hat Center guy said to me way back - Doria is not an inferior line. If anyone would like to add to this thread, which I started way back in 2007, please be my guest. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads