• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bootcut out of style?

Hangdog

Reaction score
I got these Levi's "slim boot" 537s a couple weeks ago, and the thing is, they aren't boot cut. They're 31-32s and the hem isn't any wider than the knee. Why are they calling these boot cut? And why are they calling 527s relaxed or loose now, when they were calling them straight a couple years ago?

And for this thread. You try fitting your 514s over a pair of steel-toed Red Wing Pecos.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hangdog
I got these Levi's "slim boot" 537s a couple weeks ago, and the thing is, they aren't boot cut. They're 31-32s and the hem isn't any wider than the knee. Why are they calling these boot cut? And why are they calling 527s relaxed or loose now, when they were calling them straight a couple years ago?

And for this thread. You try fitting your 514s over a pair of steel-toed Red Wing Pecos.

Bootcut and flare are not the same thing. Bootcut tapers from the knee and "flares" back out about halfway between the knee and the hem; so, it's entirely possible for the hem and knee to be the same width. Flares taper towards the knee and flare out from there.

Hangdog

Reaction score
I'm saying these jeans were straight, not boot cut. At least not boot cut like 527s or the old 517s.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer straight cut jeans these days. But still wear my nudies. Got to be versitile

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
these days i think bootcut and some flare is back in for men in some fashion circle.s

i wouldnt go with straight cut, as it almost always looks messy and amorphous from my knee down.

the boot cut drapes the lower leg a bit more, in line with the top block and thigh that i usually wear slim or tight. so more of a refined look.

or

i go with a slim leg /tapered slightly, look. not a striaght leg. more a skinny leg and sag the jeans a bit sized down.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
bootcut is fugglyyyyy

word

bootcut is still in style in hollywood along with aldos lolz

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you like bootcuts and some flares, no? your tastes side more on avant garde and edgier than most here. fitter people can pull off all kinds of styles. angrier people who cant fit start calling names.
lulz, bootcut is avant garde now?

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
you like bootcuts and some flares, no? your tastes side more on avant garde and edgier than most here. fitter people can pull off all kinds of styles. angrier people who cant fit start calling names.

Yeah, though I've branched out into more tapered cuts I still wear flares. I don't like bootcut that much; prefer the extremes of the spectrum.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why does everyone get defensive in the same manner when others disagree with them?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Avant-garde doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. Uncontrol is wearing, like, apres-garde (w/apologies to David Foster Wallace).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads