• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boosting metabolism at night

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
question - I mostly excersize in the early morning, and I like it this way. I have read a lot about the value of reving up your metabolism for weight loss, and there seems to be a lot of science behind it, but frankly I don't want to really change up my excersize schedule very much. I basically do different things every morning - running, swimming, lifting weights, boxing, yoga.

I have an idea to add about 10 minutes of intense kettlebell work right before I go to bed, with the idea that that migth "rev up" my metabolism and have some benifits, without taking too much time or making me change my schedule too much.

what are your thoughts on this? valuable? crappy idea? what?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't looked at this in the past 15 years or so, but my understanding of that time was that your metabolism falls to baseline when you sleep regardless of what you did beforehand. Training in the morning allows for a slower taper down of your metabolic rate than just before bedtime, at least partly due to cool-down and otherwise staying active.

Now, your base rate - as I understand it - partly depends on how much muscle you carry - so adding muscle should boost your metabolism all the time. But an activity to boost your sleeptime metabolic rate...I'm unaware of anything that will work.

blackstone

Reaction score
wont add any beneit. dont bother.

just make sure your training and diet are good

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

good luck with your insomnia goals in 2012.

That's not always true. I enjoy working out in the morning, but when I do it at night, I can go to bed within the hour, and I sleep like the dead.

As for the OP, try it for a few weeks if you can manage to sleep within a hour of going to bed and waking up feeling refreshed. Otherwise, I'd just keep to the mornings and monitor your caloritic intake.

Staying up an extra hr or two at night is just another opportunity to eat. There was one study posted here some time ago about that, but the more hrs a person will be awake, the more calories he will consume, and the more lbs he will gain over a year.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't looked at this in the past 15 years or so, but my understanding of that time was that your metabolism falls to baseline when you sleep regardless of what you did beforehand. Training in the morning allows for a slower taper down of your metabolic rate than just before bedtime, at least partly due to cool-down and otherwise staying active.
Now, your base rate - as I understand it - partly depends on how much muscle you carry - so adding muscle should boost your metabolism all the time. But an activity to boost your sleeptime metabolic rate...I'm unaware of anything that will work.

Not to any significant degree. ~15 calories/lb of muscle.

But no, there are no tricks to increasing metabolic rate while you sleep.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually run in the morning and do strength/conditioning in the evening. When I do my evening workout is when I get my best sleep.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, ingest DNP.

Or, if you're somehow unwilling to enjoy a healthy dose of industrial chemicals, please accept the fact that if you're looking to lose weight, there's a .9999999995 probability that your time is better spent actually looking at the calories and macros you're taking in rather than postulating on EPOC effects of HIIT vs LISS.

Reaction score
I read it somewhere that when you regularly exercise you increase your metabolic rate even if you're not doing a strenuous activity. This should be accompanied by having a healthy diet and clean lifestyle.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run for about half an hour, stretch, then go to bed an hour later. Steadily losing weight for 4 yrs (about 20 lbs). I have no clue about the science, but I know it seems to help me sleep, if not metabolize faster.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you aren't going to noticeably increase your metabolic rate by doing anything right before bed. This is bro science at its best. you are much better off spending the effort eating cleanly, sleeping eight hours a night, exercising regularly and emphasizing recovery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads