• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Book to prep for hedge fund interviews

rdaws

Reaction score
I know there are a few bankers / HF guys on here, so would love to get your advice on something.

I'm making a jump from consulting into hedge funds / PE and am interviewing now. I'm really looking for some pointers on the Hedge Fund interviews in particular; I'm most interested in public equity long/short, but my worry is that my strategy background hasn't adequately prepped me for some of the technical financial questions I'm going to get, particularly around the balance sheet.

Is there a good prep guide or a book I can read to get me up to speed on these things so I don't sound like an idiot? In PE they're generally very tolerant of consultants' stumbles in financials (they want you for your smarts, not for what they can teach you), but my sense is that Hedge Funds want people at least generally literate.

There are guides online, but they're all pretty awful advice ("http://howtogetahedgefundjob.com/" is particularly bad, I can't believe anybody that's taken that site to heart has found employment but by the stroke of luck), so I really just need a good book on value and fundamentals investing.

Also, I plan on being very upfront about my background and skill set, and it's already been made clear to those I'm interviewing with that I don't come from a banking background. I'm not trying to get a job that'll put me in over my head. I want something that values my background for what it is, and I don't want to sound like a moron during the interview.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to work at a HF and why do you think you'd be good at it? Do you know what people there do at various levels and job descriptions?

I'd be focusing on answering these questions first, and in a convincing way, before worrying about technicals.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Vault Guide is a decent prep book. I'm in the final stages of the interview process for an analyst job, and a lot of what I have encountered was covered in that book. Your mileage may vary for HF work.

Like gdl says, the "elevator pitch" is about the most important question you will face, and you have to be able to answer convincingly without your answer sounding too formulaic or rehearsed. Also, oftentimes they are far more concerned with assessing how you will fit into their shop (ie, do they want to spend 80+ hours a week with you?) and less concerned with how awesome at finance you are as most entry level positions are going to be a lot of grunt work with a ton of on the job learning.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work at a fund of funds/PE, I'm reading The Handbook of Alternative Assets (http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Alter...dp/047121826X).

It covers funds & PE - along with a host of other topics. It's a good read and not too heavy on math, so it seems fitting in this situation.

As far as the interviews, a friend of mine has interviewed at a two funds recently, and they required him to build a model before they would even bring him in for the first interview. I'm not sure how common this is, but I've seen other similar requirements when I was job hunting. One position wanted an excel/quantitative test completed before they would consider interviewing you. I started as an intern originally, so my interview wasn't quite as intense as others may have experienced.

maverick

Reaction score
I think one important thing for L/S funds is to have specific stock picks and defend them. Need to show interest in the markets/your job... typically these places for very entrepreneurial and they need to generate ideas. Disclaimer: I have not done any of these interviews.

DistressedDebt

Reaction score
Hello rdaws - My name is Hunter and I run the Distressed Debt Investing Blog, the Distressed Debt Investors Club, and (as seen by your lovely post above) the How to Get a Hedge Fund Blog site - We are about to launch a whole new service where we help candidates write competitive resumes and case studies and assist them on the interview process - Given your critique of our site, I wanted to work with you personally to help you secure a buy side job. No charge.

You can reach me at hunter [at] distressed-debt-investing [dot] com .... cheers

untilted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DistressedDebt
Hello rdaws - My name is Hunter and I run the Distressed Debt Investing Blog, the Distressed Debt Investors Club, and (as seen by your lovely post above) the How to Get a Hedge Fund Blog site - We are about to launch a whole new service where we help candidates write competitive resumes and case studies and assist them on the interview process - Given your critique of our site, I wanted to work with you personally to help you secure a buy side job. No charge.

You can reach me at hunter [at] distressed-debt-investing [dot] com .... cheers

this guy is legit.

Hunter, help me secure a buy side job in a year?
wink.gif

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DistressedDebt
Hello rdaws - My name is Hunter and I run the Distressed Debt Investing Blog, the Distressed Debt Investors Club, and (as seen by your lovely post above) the How to Get a Hedge Fund Blog site - We are about to launch a whole new service where we help candidates write competitive resumes and case studies and assist them on the interview process - Given your critique of our site, I wanted to work with you personally to help you secure a buy side job. No charge. You can reach me at hunter [at] distressed-debt-investing [dot] com .... cheers
Want to say--I am a big fan of your site. The Alice Schroeder interview you posted today was great. Any plans to post equity ideas (e.g. full write-ups) on your Schloss/Value Investing site the way you do debt instruments on distressed debt? I know there are other communities that sort of do this (zero sum ; value investor club), but frankly, they don't do it as well as the write-ups you share from DDIC. By the way--very jealous of the above offer. Rdaws, you'd be a fool not to take him up on the above offer. Best

untilted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fairholme_wannabe
Want to say--I am a big fan of your site. The Alice Schroeder interview you posted today was great. Any plans to post equity ideas (e.g. full write-ups) on your Schloss/Value Investing site the way you do debt instruments on distressed debt? I know there are other communities that sort of do this (zero sum ; value investor club), but frankly, they don't do it as well as the write-ups you share from DDIC.

By the way--very jealous of the above offer. Rdaws, you'd be a fool not to take him up on the above offer.

Best

+100

don't know how you can juggle with a full time job AND running all these blogs!

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how much do you know about the industry? good luck finding long/short equity guys. its a brutal year for equities; 75%+ movements are correlated, its an absolute nightmare for stock pickers.

to start, the CFA Basics book should prep you for most of the basic basic accounting stuff. that book is so fundamental to stock picking that u should know everything in it.

depending on the firm, they either hire sector specific analyst or generalists. so if you are serving a very specific industry clients at the moment, it will help a bit.

btw, what kind of consulting? bcg/mckinsy strategic consulting will not be too hard. IT consulting, good ******* luck; better finding a job at SFBA as software engineer for better pay.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
how much do you know about the industry? good luck finding long/short equity guys. its a brutal year for equities; 75%+ movements are correlated, its an absolute nightmare for stock pickers.

to start, the CFA Basics book should prep you for most of the basic basic accounting stuff. that book is so fundamental to stock picking that u should know everything in it.

depending on the firm, they either hire sector specific analyst or generalists. so if you are serving a very specific industry clients at the moment, it will help a bit.

btw, what kind of consulting? bcg/mckinsy strategic consulting will not be too hard. IT consulting, good ******* luck; better finding a job at SFBA as software engineer for better pay.

^Yea it depends what kind of consulting. If its MBB then you are MUCH better off than anywhere else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads