• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bolo Ties--From Hick to Hip?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have long regarded the bolo tie as, well, rather "bucolic"--attire for square dancers, cowboys and cowboy wannabes and such.

On Friday, I attended a wedding--my wife's niece--and I was surprised at how many bolo ties were in evidence. Some of the guests were quite literally "bucolic," e.g., the grandfather of the bride, who is a 94-year-old dairy farmer. On him, the bolo tie was unsurprising. However, some of the other men wearing bolo ties were seemingly "hip" young urbanites.

I commented on this phenomenon to a friend of mine who is a college professor. He said they were quite in vogue among the younger set at the moment. Although a my stepson seemed oblivious to this trend, a friend of his confirmed that they were popular among his contemporaries.

Have any of you noticed this trend? Do any of you sport bolo ties? Any thoughts on this phenomenon? Maybe it's just my age, but I still find them costume-y and drugstore cowboy-ish.

I am told that the Texas Rangers (the law enforcement agency) routinely sport bolo ties. At least they are not drugstore cowboys.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect you might get more (and more useful) answers to this question over on the Streetwear forum, since the bolo isn’t part of the historical lineage that defines “classic menswear.” No snark intended, just stating the facts.

As for noticing them where I’m located (which is very roughly the eastern US) I can just say no, I haven’t, and I teach at a large university so I’m in frequent contact with what seems to be your target age group.

Cheers,

Ac

Stencil

Reaction score
They are certainly absent from northern California, regardless of age. I saw a number of them on older men in Santa Fe when I was visiting last week, but that's it.

I imagine it might be a sort of "ironic" thing for younger men in a certain part of the country, i.e the appropriation of an eccentric regionalism, not unlike all the 20-somethings in San Francisco's Mission strutting around in ranger mocs and flannels.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Bolo ties can't be entirely absent in Northern California. The wedding where I saw so many bolos took place in Petaluma!

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stray cat strut, I'm a ladies guy...

They were worn ironically by the hipster set in the '80s and it's 30 years later.

Fashion moves in cycles.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads