• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer and Sport Coat sizing questions.

nubirth

Reaction score
Dont know if this is the RIGHT forum, but ill go ahead and ask the questions. I do a lot of thrifting for shirts and pants, and wanted to start looking for blazers and sport coats. From my rough measurements i done to myself, i should be wearing a 42 short jacket. Most of the jackets i find, have a 19 inch shoulder in that size. Here are my questions:

1. Shoulders.......... I know from research, that the shoulders is a DONT DO IF POSSIBLE alteration on a blazer or sport coat. To avoid that, if im a 17 inch shoulder, ( My rough measurement), how much of a increase in shoulder size could i go, so that the shoulders will not bunch up? Ive learned that you want a little play, so that your sleeves will hang properly, but would say, 19 inch shoulders, be too much leeway?

2. Length...........Im a 30 length in a regular jacket. I SHOULD be wearing short jackets because of my height. How much leeway is in the length?

3. Chest.........im pretty spot on with the chest. No problems there. I know my leeway and how the jacket should fit without bunching up in the middle. ( creating a X effect.)

4. Waist.......same as above, i pretty much know how it should fit and the leeway there.

5. Sleeve..... again, im pretty clear on that measurement and know its a easy alteration ( depending on buttons and lining of the jacket).

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont know if this is the RIGHT forum, but ill go ahead and ask the questions. I do a lot of thrifting for shirts and pants, and wanted to start looking for blazers and sport coats. From my rough measurements i done to myself, i should be wearing a 42 short jacket. Most of the jackets i find, have a 19 inch shoulder in that size. Here are my questions:

1. Shoulders.......... I know from research, that the shoulders is a DONT DO IF POSSIBLE alteration on a blazer or sport coat. To avoid that, if im a 17 inch shoulder, ( My rough measurement), how much of a increase in shoulder size could i go, so that the shoulders will not bunch up? Ive learned that you want a little play, so that your sleeves will hang properly, but would say, 19 inch shoulders, be too much leeway?

2. Length...........Im a 30 length in a regular jacket. I SHOULD be wearing short jackets because of my height. How much leeway is in the length?

3. Chest.........im pretty spot on with the chest. No problems there. I know my leeway and how the jacket should fit without bunching up in the middle. ( creating a X effect.)

4. Waist.......same as above, i pretty much know how it should fit and the leeway there.

5. Sleeve..... again, im pretty clear on that measurement and know its a easy alteration ( depending on buttons and lining of the jacket).

Try **** on. If it looks good, buy it.

If you don't know what "looks good" is, look at pictures and try stuff on in stores. I have never brought a tape measure to a thrift store, and I have never cared about the exact measurements of things. After about a year or two, my eye was sufficiently trained that I can just kinda tell if something will work or won't.

nubirth

Reaction score
Try **** on. If it looks good, buy it.

If you don't know what "looks good" is, look at pictures and try stuff on in stores. I have never brought a tape measure to a thrift store, and I have never cared about the exact measurements of things. After about a year or two, my eye was sufficiently trained that I can just kinda tell if something will work or won't.
Thanx for the response. I will do exactly that. I kinda know what to look for, just wanted to be sure.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the response. I will do exactly that. I kinda know what to look for, just wanted to be sure.

Yep. The best way to learn really is hands-on experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads