• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Blazer and Sport Coat sizing questions.

nubirth

Reaction score
Dont know if this is the RIGHT forum, but ill go ahead and ask the questions. I do a lot of thrifting for shirts and pants, and wanted to start looking for blazers and sport coats. From my rough measurements i done to myself, i should be wearing a 42 short jacket. Most of the jackets i find, have a 19 inch shoulder in that size. Here are my questions:

1. Shoulders.......... I know from research, that the shoulders is a DONT DO IF POSSIBLE alteration on a blazer or sport coat. To avoid that, if im a 17 inch shoulder, ( My rough measurement), how much of a increase in shoulder size could i go, so that the shoulders will not bunch up? Ive learned that you want a little play, so that your sleeves will hang properly, but would say, 19 inch shoulders, be too much leeway?

2. Length...........Im a 30 length in a regular jacket. I SHOULD be wearing short jackets because of my height. How much leeway is in the length?

3. Chest.........im pretty spot on with the chest. No problems there. I know my leeway and how the jacket should fit without bunching up in the middle. ( creating a X effect.)

4. Waist.......same as above, i pretty much know how it should fit and the leeway there.

5. Sleeve..... again, im pretty clear on that measurement and know its a easy alteration ( depending on buttons and lining of the jacket).

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont know if this is the RIGHT forum, but ill go ahead and ask the questions. I do a lot of thrifting for shirts and pants, and wanted to start looking for blazers and sport coats. From my rough measurements i done to myself, i should be wearing a 42 short jacket. Most of the jackets i find, have a 19 inch shoulder in that size. Here are my questions:

1. Shoulders.......... I know from research, that the shoulders is a DONT DO IF POSSIBLE alteration on a blazer or sport coat. To avoid that, if im a 17 inch shoulder, ( My rough measurement), how much of a increase in shoulder size could i go, so that the shoulders will not bunch up? Ive learned that you want a little play, so that your sleeves will hang properly, but would say, 19 inch shoulders, be too much leeway?

2. Length...........Im a 30 length in a regular jacket. I SHOULD be wearing short jackets because of my height. How much leeway is in the length?

3. Chest.........im pretty spot on with the chest. No problems there. I know my leeway and how the jacket should fit without bunching up in the middle. ( creating a X effect.)

4. Waist.......same as above, i pretty much know how it should fit and the leeway there.

5. Sleeve..... again, im pretty clear on that measurement and know its a easy alteration ( depending on buttons and lining of the jacket).
Try shit on. If it looks good, buy it.

If you don't know what "looks good" is, look at pictures and try stuff on in stores. I have never brought a tape measure to a thrift store, and I have never cared about the exact measurements of things. After about a year or two, my eye was sufficiently trained that I can just kinda tell if something will work or won't.

nubirth

Reaction score
Try shit on. If it looks good, buy it.

If you don't know what "looks good" is, look at pictures and try stuff on in stores. I have never brought a tape measure to a thrift store, and I have never cared about the exact measurements of things. After about a year or two, my eye was sufficiently trained that I can just kinda tell if something will work or won't.
Thanx for the response. I will do exactly that. I kinda know what to look for, just wanted to be sure.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the response. I will do exactly that. I kinda know what to look for, just wanted to be sure.
Yep. The best way to learn really is hands-on experience.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 106 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 92 29.8%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%