• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie shoe question - what to choose?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK I don't have any true patent leather shoes but do have the following and have a black tie event tomorrow and can't quite choose between them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1) Loake 1880 "Wells" (plain black captoes). These are highly polished to the point of having a mirror finish on the toecap. They're what I usually wear to black tie events but am wondering if I'm being too boring and something different might be nice.

2) John Lobb "Lord" (green suede "slippers" but with proper heels and soles). I wonder if these might be a nice touch - sort like a opera pumps but are they just too casual? And is the fact they're green just too much?

Anyway, I'll decide for sure tomorrow but would be interested in hearing your comments.

For reference, it's my workplace's summer ball, but should be fairly laid back. It's also Black Tie Preferred and since it's open to all employees at all levels, I suspect about 20% the guys will not have black tie but will come in dark suits. The girls are all getting seriously glam'ed up!

Also for reference I will be wearing a 1B, SB peak lapel dinner jacket with grosgrain facing, turndown collar pique shirt with a mother-of-pearl gold stud set and engraved gold links.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's laid back, and you're senior enough not to have to worry about the partners looking at you funny, the green suede might be fun. How dark are they?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Eh, wear the slippers. The cap toes will look they are trying, yet failing, to be formal shoes. At least the slippers are so different there is no confusion as to their aspirations. Besides, "Black Tie Preferred" would seem to allow for a bit of leeway.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far:

Photos I've googled up of the two options, for those not familiar with them:

lwellsl.jpg

fb_1_b.JPG

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely the slippers.

I have a pair in black and wore them recently to loads of positive compliments. I wore them with a plaid smoking jacket to a pretty formal event. So, don't be afraid of spicing up your outfit with the green.

styleforum9hy.jpg

CoryB

Reaction score
zjpj you have a lot of guts to wear that jacket (and I love it).

Wear the slippers!!! The slippers are lovely and think would add a dash of fun, but not ostentatiously so.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've all convinced me. I'll go for the slippers - I'll also see if I can get a few snaps tomorrow too!

Thanks one and all.

(that smoking jacket is ultra-cool too!
wink.gif
)

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the slippers are a good choice.
Do you have a green pocket square you could coordinate with the slippers?

xarope

Reaction score
Nice jacket zjpj83!

Holdfast, from what you described, I'd go with the green slippers. The black captoes would be better in a true formal event, where the men are supposed to blend in and let the women stand out, but in your situation, you are already planning to stand out ("1B, SB peak lapel dinner jacket with grosgrain facing, turndown collar pique shirt with a mother-of-pearl gold stud set and engraved gold links"... yeah baby).

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The party rocked.
smile.gif

I wore the green slippers and I totally lost count of the number of compliments on them. And let me let you into a little secret - they turned out to be a total girl magnet and an absolutely brilliant conversation starter. I was staggered. In a good way.
smile.gif

You guys certainly give the best advice - thank you!

I'd post photos but looking through the ones I took, I can't see one that shows the shoes and far too many that show me in progressive stages of disinhibited behaviour....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads