• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suits - what are they good for?

Avocat

Reaction score
Black suits? Colour of Authority: Priests, Judges and Magistrates. In Canada and other British commonwealth countries (Britain, Australia, etc.), it's also proper court attire for Barrister's (lawyers) who gown like judges [(black robes and black waist coat, with white tie, white shirt and dark pants (black, charcoal or court stripe)] with appropriate shoes (in England, they wear with a formal patent shoe, along with the wigs). Being appropriate "court attire", black is the colour for formal events, too. Also represents "mysticism and mouring" in many religious cultures (in North America and the UK, traditional mourning attire has given way to black or dark-coloured suits). With the decline of formal events, black has become very popular today, and especially when out clubbing, as has been noted by others. As to wearing a black suit for business, unless you're a priest, undertaker, judge and/or lawyer, it's not traditional (in places adhering to a business formal dress code, black suits are not proper). Like all things, though, it depends on your workplace environment--if i.e., your co-workers are all goths, then black is likely to be the standard "uniform" assuming you're comfortable yourself in black, that is. In any case, not recommended on a job interview ever, albeit OK for a woman; instead, wear blue. It's the colour of loyalty and engenders trust, etc. from the military and why air pilots wear blue (you need to trust them, right?) -or- gray which is synonymous with tradition, etc. etc. etc. tl/DR: Black is for formal wear, being fine for funerals, clubbing and evenings out, but not for business unless you're a priest or a judge, etc. and never on a job interview unless it's for a priest or judge, etc. position.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere!
RSS, are you reviving this thread because you couldn't pull out the charcoal when this thread first died? Feeling funereal?

I hope not, re: the funeral part. As to reviving a thread, guess the question keeps coming up ... the answer being the same though now as it was back then, and then some (if you're traditional, that is).

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black suits are very good at one thing:provoking ENDLESS arguments on SF...

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Black suits are very good at one thing:provoking ENDLESS arguments on SF...

+1

I have a visceral reaction against black suits... No rationale basis for it... I just really really dislike them for the most part. The exceptions are dinner suits and patterned fabrics (e.g. pinstripes, windowpanes, etc.) but untextured black fabrics look so dead and lifeless to me. With the huge range of greys, blues, browns, etc., all of which seem to have so much more "life" and visual interest, I still can't understand why someone would chose black.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black wool can luck dull and lifeless. It also shows crud up as well.

Black cloth benefits from a 'glossy' finish or the addition of Mohair/silk to give the cloth some life and depth Combine this with a sharp[er] cut it can work very well for evenings out.

For work, it's a little stark IMO, but this very much depends on your biz.

Some feel that Black is a stylistic cop out, too easy, done to death.

It also tends to make up a high percentage of RTW suits too, which doesn't hang well with the SF style mavens who want to distiguish themselves from the RTW suit wearing hoi polloi.

George's tips for black.

Get a cloth with a bit of sparkle/shimmer like a Mohair/silk admixture or a cloth that has a refined finish but has a little bit of sheen like Faille, Barathea &c.

Get your tailor to cut the suit sharper, little to no drape skinny(ier) lapels. Think 60's Caine/Bond. No friggin' cuffs/turnups or friggin' pleated fronts.

Oh, and don't go all fruit salad with the accroutments. Keep it simple, think Mod.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Black cloth benefits from a 'glossy' finish or the addition of Mohair/silk to give the cloth some life and depth Combine this with a sharp[er] cut it can work very well for evenings out.
Back to my earlier post. As I noted, only one of the five in black suits had a decently made suit ... and it did have a 'glossy' finish. It was also cut on the trim side. It was the only one of the five I could even begin to consider seriously ... and I'm thinking it was really midnight blue ... not black. And no ... it wasn't a dinner coat & matching trousers
devil.gif

I'll add that this one had obvious advantages that went beyond the wardrobe department ... better looks ... a greater sense of presence ... etc. And as someone else noted ... that's often as important as the clothing.

I'll continue to reserve black -- or rather mid-night blue -- for my dinner coats. There isn't much black in my wardrobe except for shoes, formal socks, hats, etc. Oh ... I do have several pairs of black cords ... which are rather lush.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere!
RSS, are you reviving this thread because you couldn't pull out the charcoal when this thread first died? Feeling funereal?
Given my age ... funerial is somehow appropriate. But no ... that is not the reason. I've recently taken a course in CPR.

It had been lying in the past ... for almost a year ... bearly holding to life. No one had dared come to its rescue ... then I happened along.

As you can see ... it's doing fine now. In fact ... it has more life than it did before I found it.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
required attire for fighting aliens alongside the likes of Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
required attire for fighting aliens alongside the likes of Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith.
I'll give you this one.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
you never know when youll be called. hahaha

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Green Lantern
I am happy you are happy. I wear black. I don't drink Kool Aid. I am sure that I look better in my black than you do in your charcoal. Ciao!
fight[1].gif

Now that's an answer I can appreciate!

En Garde

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Back to my earlier post. As I noted, only one of the five in black suits had a decently made suit ... and it did have a 'glossy' finish. It was also cut on the trim side. It was the only one of the five I could even begin to consider seriously ... and I'm thinking it was really midnight blue ... not black. And no ... it wasn't a dinner coat & matching trousers
devil.gif
I'll add that this one had obvious advantages that went beyond the wardrobe department ... better looks ... a greater sense of presence ... etc. And as someone else noted ... that's often as important as the clothing. I'll continue to reserve black -- or rather mid-night blue -- for my dinner coats. There isn't much black in my wardrobe except for shoes, formal socks, hats, etc. Oh ... I do have several pairs of black cords ... which are rather lush.

Ha, I fired that post off before I went into a meeting. (hence the spelling) I really do think that black suiting needs a bit of shimmer or else it looks dull. Personally, I have nothing against people wearing black even it it is a little 'unimaginative'. I'm surprised it solicits so much 'rancour' but then again...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Ha, I fired that post off before I went into a meeting. (hence the spelling)

I really do think that black suiting needs a bit of shimmer or else it looks dull.

Personally, I have nothing against people wearing black even it it is a little 'unimaginative'.

I'm surprised it solicits so much 'rancour' but then again...

I'm not that bothered by it...

If you have the right contrast hair/skin tone ,black can look sharp...

If you go clubbing or to the restaurant ,it can be an interesting option...

Saying that,I do not have any black suits since the end of the nineties...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I'm not that bothered by it... If you have the right contrast hair/skin tone ,black can look sharp... If you go clubbing or to the restaurant ,it can be an interesting option... Saying that,I do not have any black suits since the end of the nineties...
Well, this leads to another thing that puzzles me. Hair/skin tone. What colours go with what complexion/hair colour is a female concern, not a males. Women are judged by the way the look, their appearance, this isn't so with men. Our appearance is only one element of how we are judged.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads