• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black cap toe bals

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
+1

Or how about Church's Balmoral on their classic 73 last?

1425-678-photo3.jpg

I just purchased these Church's "Sheldons" from Herring's for my wedding: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

These are on the "130" last, so they are a bit more elongated than the "Balmorals" that are built on the "73" last. Also, the "Sheldons" have a heel counter while the "Balmorals" do not (at least from the photo).

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
I just purchased these Church's "Sheldons" from Herring's for my wedding: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

These are on the "130" last, so they are a bit more elongated than the "Balmorals" that are built on the "73" last. Also, the "Sheldons" have a heel counter while the "Balmorals" do not (at least from the photo).

What, no black AE PA?!?!
tounge.gif
Congrats on getting married!
cheers.gif

Johnny24

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Ferragamo Newland's off ebay for about a 1/5 of their $520 retail price. I have seen a few people say around here that the quality of the Ferragamo standard lines isn't the best compared to C&J's and so on but for what I paid for these I would say they are fantastic, they are very sleek looking and well shaped. The shine on the leather is high as well, I plan on wearing them with a vintage midnight navy tuxedo later this month.

I have looked at AE's and Church's in the past and while I liked the Church's I think the AE's are too chunky and bloated looking...They remind me of golf shoes. If you can find a pair of the Newland's floating on ebay in the $150 range you should consider them.

beerbudget

Reaction score
I just received the Church Balmorals from Herrings. I would recommend them at the discounted price. I purchased the Polished Binder, not realising they were available in Black Calf as well. What are peoples thoughts on the two finishes? FWIW they are not overly "shiny".

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of people on here have a hatred for polished binder because it is essentially corrected grain leather. There are schools of thought that say corrected grain leather is in fact corrected because of imperfections in the hide and it is considered subordinate to regular calf. Some people I know really like the look, it is easy to care for as it just really requires buffing the surface. I am sure Church's "polished binder" is a much higher quality leather than say Kenneth Cole shoes, but most people associate corrected grain with lower quality shoes. I personally don't care for it in darker colors like black because when it gets scuffed you're almost screwed as the finish doesn't take to polish very well. All of the pores are sanded down and whatever you put on them basically just sits on top and cannot penetrate into the leather, to hide scuffs, or norish the leather. Also, regular calf you can get a much more natural looking shine with good technique rather than a plastic like finish.

Even with all of this said I still like Church's sandalwood polished binder.

If you could exchange them I would, but if you can't don't lose sleep over it, you still got a great pair of shoes.

beerbudget

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
A lot of people on here have a hatred for polished binder because it is essentially corrected grain leather. There are schools of thought that say corrected grain leather is in fact corrected because of imperfections in the hide and it is considered subordinate to regular calf. Some people I know really like the look, it is easy to care for as it just really requires buffing the surface. I am sure Church's "polished binder" is a much higher quality leather than say Kenneth Cole shoes, but most people associate corrected grain with lower quality shoes. I personally don't care for it in darker colors like black because when it gets scuffed you're almost screwed as the finish doesn't take to polish very well. All of the pores are sanded down and whatever you put on them basically just sits on top and cannot penetrate into the leather, to hide scuffs, or norish the leather. Also, regular calf you can get a much more natural looking shine with good technique rather than a plastic like finish.

Even with all of this said I still like Church's sandalwood polished binder.

If you could exchange them I would, but if you can't don't lose sleep over it, you still got a great pair of shoes.

Thank you for the explanation. They do look a nice pair of shoes, so i will do my utmost to avoid scuffing. Next order of black shoes i will ensure i get the black calf so i will have a choice to wear either. Do you think the polished look could look a little "formal" for some situations?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, it is much more shiny, but I wouldn't say it is patent leather shiny, so you wont look like you're going to a black or white tie event or anything, but then again black captoes are just about the most formal business shoe you can get.

Scope

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
If you wear an 11.5 US D, this is your shoe:

http://www.skyvalet1.com/detail.aspx?ID=110

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
The AS Aldeburgh does look pretty good! I'm definitely liking the 104 last. Imo, the Sky Valet pic is better than the one on the AS website.

AldeburghL.jpg

ALDEBURGH.jpg

I really like these. Im not an 11.5, though.

I eBayed a pair of thrice-worn AE PA's last night for $125. I figure these will hold me over until I need a pair of EG Chelseas, if I ever do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads