• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Billionaire style

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels
mmmm... I'd have to respectfully disagree. My girlfriend is Taiwanese, living in Hong Kong and we've both spent much time in Taiwan, HK, and the mainland. I think the Taiwanese in general are much more, not only style-conscious and put-together, but also better looking in general overall. Her working theory is the polluted environment and the Chinese disregard for product & consumer safety and the general nouveau riche Chinese who don't know **** from shinola. Not nearly as prevalent in Taiwan in my experience.... in fact, it's usually the foreigners (e.g. Americans) who are made fun of by the Taiwanese for their lack of style and general douchery. Just sayin....
This is interesting, I've noticed that compared to Koreans, Taiwanese, Hong Kongese, etc, Chinese people look abysmal. A lot of it is just skin, very, very bad skin. I think polluted air and contaminated food (cadmium rice with arsenic soy sauce, anyone?) play a big role.

alphaO888

Reaction score
mmmm... I'd have to respectfully disagree. My girlfriend is Taiwanese, living in Hong Kong and we've both spent much time in Taiwan, HK, and the mainland. I think the Taiwanese in general are much more, not only style-conscious and put-together, but also better looking in general overall. Her working theory is the polluted environment and the Chinese disregard for product & consumer safety and the general nouveau riche Chinese who don't know **** from shinola. Not nearly as prevalent in Taiwan in my experience.... in fact, it's usually the foreigners (e.g. Americans) who are made fun of by the Taiwanese for their lack of style and general douchery. Just sayin....

You could swap the words "Taiwan" and "China" and I could totally picture someone from China saying the exact same thing.

The Chinese and Taiwanese just get a long so well...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man

ska00453-c.jpeg

Not to change the subject too much, but which would you rather hit, left or right?

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
I think with all his legal problems, he is not a billionaire no longer. But still pretty rich though.

Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
I've found that many Asian folk who accumulate some money love to flaunt very popular brands that people associated with luxury. i.e. LV/Burberry.

His name is Thaksin Shinawatra. He was a prime minister of Thailand in the year 2000s. The reason that he is no longer a prime minister was because he got evicted and has become a fugitive. This guy has cheated out of Thailand so damn much. His scheme could be compared to Mr. Madoff. Several years ago, when Thai government wanted to check on his wealth and assets because they suspected of his shady financial move. He transfered large amount of money to his servants! That is right, his MAID! Whoever were his maids at the time became millionaires in over night!

Some of you may say that he may not be a billionair any longer. Well, that could true, but the reality is that no one knows how much he is worth. Sometime ago, there was a speculation that he was even richer than Bill Gates. What I know for sure was that his net worth is more than the net worth of Oprah Winfrey and Steven Spielberg combined!

NOW, that is insanely rich!

Omega Man

Reaction score
......nouveau riche Chinese who don't know **** from shinola. Not nearly as prevalent in Taiwan in my experience.... in fact, it's usually the foreigners (e.g. Americans) who are made fun of by the Taiwanese for their lack of style and general douchery. Just sayin....

Ha, ha that's funny. The circle of life/lifestyle....Westernized.....douchery........
The nouveau rich often associates brand name as a sign of wealth and good life. They spent an obscene amount of money to chase this "Westernized" image. Name brand companies want to jump on this bandwagon. China is at the tipping point, give it some time and educate the people some more, they will eventuallyknow **** from shinola.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
You could swap the words "Taiwan" and "China" and I could totally picture someone from China saying the exact same thing.

I don't think so, I think the Chinee know what's up. Ask them who speaks Mandarin the best, they'll tell you "Taiwan".

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Not to change the subject too much, but which would you rather hit, left or right?

Yes.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888

You must not follow politics, history and current affairs very well.

They are I believe still in a state of war and China has never ruled out using force to take over Taiwan notwithstanding their trade ties. The funny thing about China is when you are talking about their national sovereignty, all bets are off.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl

Thaksin's youngest sister is running for PM and she is hot and yet not in a MILF way.
Amazing what being filthy rich can do for your looks. Its so damn unfair, aint it.

If she gets elected, she will blow Michelle off the water in terms of hottest female in politics.
Probably on par with Carla. Merkl and that Aussie woman PM will look like frumpy housewives next to her.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man
His name is Thaksin Shinawatra. He was a prime minister of Thailand in the year 2000s. The reason that he is no longer a prime minister was because he got evicted and has become a fugitive. This guy has cheated out of Thailand so damn much. His scheme could be compared to Mr. Madoff. Several years ago, when Thai government wanted to check on his wealth and assets because they suspected of his shady financial move. He transfered large amount of money to his servants! That is right, his MAID! Whoever were his maids at the time became millionaires in over night!

Some of you may say that he may not be a billionair any longer. Well, that could true, but the reality is that no one knows how much he is worth. Sometime ago, there was a speculation that he was even richer than Bill Gates. What I know for sure was that his net worth is more than the net worth of Oprah Winfrey and Steven Spielberg combined!

NOW, that is insanely rich!

I think the Thai government froze or confiscate his billions already.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you are so poor you cant reasonably afford the 100 Gucci lanyard, unless you steal it, you would have to buy fakes. Of course, one can be philosophical and argue why these people are brandwhores, but that is a general tendency among the young or even the old, regardless of race.

True there is brand whoring everywhere. But I've noticed it's so much more in your face in mainland China(PRC), especially in the smaller rural cities, like where I am.

There is another difference I've noticed, in developed countries (USA, UK, etc) brand whoring is mainly done by younger people. In China it's both young and older generations seem to be habitual brand whores.

One can buy garments, shoes, handbags, etc, here, which look absolutely nothing like what some famous designer brands would produce, yet they have bold lettering and logos, sometimes even gold metal plates, with things like 'LV', 'D&G', 'Burberry', 'Zegna', 'Versace' and 'Prada' written on them. They're all openly on sale everywhere, including the supermarkets.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT

One can buy garments, shoes, handbags, etc, here, which look absolutely nothing like what some famous designer brands would produce, yet they have bold lettering and logos, sometimes even gold metal plates, with things like 'LV', 'D&G', 'Burberry', 'Zegna', 'Versace' and 'Prada' written on them. They're all openly on sale everywhere, including the supermarkets.

Er, I doubt those brands would hawk their wares at the local Walmart.
Why dont you report these sellers in to the brands and make a ton of money by being a snitch.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Er, I doubt those brands would hawk their wares at the local Walmart.
Of course not. But one see these brands been hawked openly at the local Dekelong supermarket here in Xilin Gol League. It's all 100% counterfeit of course.
Why dont you report these sellers in to the brands and make a ton of money by being a snitch.
I suspect the brands are already fully aware of the IP situation here, and they try and do something about it in the larger important cities like Beijing and Shanghai. I did read a story last year in the 'Shanghai Daily', of how Gucci tried to get a factory making knock-off handbags near Beijing closed down. They failed at trying to prosecute for copyright infringement, instead they had to settle for breach of fire regulations to get the factory closed. All that happens is production gets moved to another factory, kind of like playing whac-a-mole. BTW I don't actually condone the situation here, I just live with it as part of daily life.

Fred H.

Reaction score
I believe The Dude properly sums up my feelings on this subject (and everything else the OP has posted herein):

tumblr_ll1i5qMBTU1qz4teno1_500.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads