• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bigger arms?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I have the typical cyclist build: strong powerful legs, but pretty slim, if muscular arms. What's the best way to get bigger arms? I'm not talking about some ridiculous, massive insanity, but larger arms than I currently have.

Any advice would is greatly appreciated.

Jon.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
So, I have the typical cyclist build: strong powerful legs, but pretty slim, if muscular arms. What's the best way to get bigger arms? I'm not talking about some ridiculous, massive insanity, but larger arms than I currently have.

Any advice would is greatly appreciated.

Jon.

Lift heavier, eat more

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Slow down on the cycling a bit, maybe? I don't know much about weight lifting or bulking, but I'm under the impression from other posters that it's easier to bulk and then lose again than it is to gain in one area while still maintaining weight/body type.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of triceps, actually a bigger muscle than biceps.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. I dont think that just working on your arms is such a good idea, you might want to focus more on actions that work your core/chest/back and arms.

2. that said - W bar curls, concentration curls, and tricepts work - espectionally extention - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../DBTriExt.html
people forget the tricepts and focus on the bicepts, which is a mistake.

eat more protien, espectially right after working out.

smw356

Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't do much if any direct arm initially just lots of heavy compounds.

The biggest thing is you have to eat at a surplus.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I actually just bought these and they really do give a good arm and chest workout...

http://www.perfectpushup.com/

darrows.jpg

P.S. Only $20 at Wal-Mart compared to $40 on the website.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the **** can't you just rotate your hands on the ground...?

Anyway...stop focusing on your arms. Just do big compound lifts (bench press, rows) unless you want to look like Donkey Kong.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Why the **** can't you just rotate your hands on the ground...?

Anyway...stop focusing on your arms. Just do big compound lifts (bench press, rows) unless you want to look like Donkey Kong.

I never said I was only focusing a bit more on my arms; I just want to target them a bit more. Some of the advice was good though, and worth trying.

Jon.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Close grip bench, overhead presses/arnolds, tricep extension, curls, decline curls (slow), dips, pullups are some general exercises

Here's the deal to get bigger arms instead of doing nothing for them.

You workout with the intention to get super huge and just decrease intensity when you're at the size you want and change exercises to full body. But you go all out first.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good suggestions so far. I'll add supinated-grip barbell rows. +1 to chins, overhead pressing, and CG bench.

smw356

Reaction score
+1 to the last 2 posts

plyo / clapping push ups are good too

but really any solid upper body compound movement is good. You progress will come from your fork more than from doing anything drastically out of the ordinary in the weight room.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
+1 to the last 2 posts

plyo / clapping push ups are good too

but really any solid upper body compound movement is good. You progress will come from your fork more than from doing anything drastically out of the ordinary in the weight room.

I'm trying that, but it's not working, or if it is, than at a snails pace. How long do results take? I'm not expecting instant growth, but I would like to know what a real, expectable time frame is.

Jon.

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I actually just bought these and they really do give a good arm and chest workout...

http://www.perfectpushup.com/

darrows.jpg

P.S. Only $20 at Wal-Mart compared to $40 on the website.

Got the facebook add, Brad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads