1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Big haul of Borrellis dumped @ FB

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Christofuh, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Whole boatload of shirts, coats, vests, trousers and even shoes. I tried on a pair of suede ankle boots that while being in my size refused to flex much as far as the soles go [​IMG] . You feel as though Virgil Sollozzo has fiited you with cement boots, I swear [​IMG] .
    Shoe prices range from $299 to $549 ( monks, lace-ups, bluchers, suedes) , plus they threw some Gravatis in the mix.

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whole boatload of shirts, coats, vests, trousers and even shoes. I tried on a pair of suede ankle boots that while being in my size refused to flex much as far as the soles go [​IMG] . You feel as though Virgil Sollozzo has fiited you with cement boots, I swear [​IMG] .
    Shoe prices range from $299 to $549 ( monks, lace-ups, bluchers, suedes) , plus they threw some Gravatis in the mix.

Crap, thankfully I am not in Boston otherwise there would go the mortgage [​IMG]

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Same deal at Connecticut Avenue Filene's in Washington, D.C.

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

What's the quality of Borelli shoes anyway? How much would be a good price for one, like that pair of suede ankle boots?

5. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Crap, thankfully I am not in Boston otherwise there would go the mortgage [​IMG]

Oh crap. I am in Boston. Worst/best news ever.

6. horton

horton Senior member

I went by today. They have Royal collection Borrelli shirts which were pretty amazing. SHoes seemed tapped out

They had some amazing cashmere though -- some light pieces and some very (sinfully) thick

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've got a 20% off coupon for Filene's if anyone needs it. It's an attachemnt so you need to PM your email address.

8. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Gorgeous-BOR...QQcmdZViewItem
    Is this one of the loafers dumped in Filene's?

Probably not. Look at where the item is located. Usually after a nice load making it to FB, you will see items popping up on fleabay. I've seen at least 2 people making a living of flipping FB finds.

10. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

What bargains, exactly, have been found in FB? High end item closeouts on 75% off or higher?

11. DNW

DNW Senior member

What bargains, exactly, have been found in FB? High end item closeouts on 75% off or higher?

Once in a while, you'll see stuff from high end department stores, even from Louis Boston. I once bought about 10 pairs of wool slacks for $40/each, while they retailed for no less than $285 (I forgot which store they came from).

12. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Hint, Hint: both Mitchells and Richards are located in CT

13. itzperch

itzperch New Member

I am 22 and just getting into the world of suits. I got a Zegna "cloth" suit for $400 at the FB sale.....is that a good deal? Do I return or keep? I am a 40R

14. johnpemberton

johnpemberton Senior member

"Zegna cloth" does not guarentee a quality suit - although the cloth is probably very nice. $400 (around GBP£210 - i have to convert, as I am British!!) is the going rate really...what is the brand of the suit - that will confirm if it was a good deal.

For instance, I sell Loro Piana, Zegna etc cloth suits from branded manufacturers for around £170-£200. A proper Ermenegildo Zegna suit I would retail for around £300 - £400 (brand new).

It takes time to learn what's good and what's not! But you are in the right place to learn (i am still learning, and i have been in this business for 3 years!)

All the best,
    John.

15. kabert

kabert Senior member

I am 22 and just getting into the world of suits. I got a Zegna "cloth" suit for $400 at the FB sale.....is that a good deal? Do I return or keep? I am a 40R

These have been discussed here many times here before, generally with annoyance that FB would try to pawn off on the public a no-name suit as a Loro Piana suit. As was said, the fabric is probably nice as LP does nice work. The issue though is construction -- Loro Piana did not make this suit. It was probably made in a sweatshop in Southern China. If it fits you perfectly, then perhaps it's worth $400. If not,then absolutely return it. In any event, don't expect the suit to last more than 2 or 3 years before it starts to age-out, where the lapels won't lie flat, the padding under the suit's front begins to bubble (esp. if you get it dry cleaned), and the shoulder pads become uneven or wrinkled.

16. itzperch

itzperch New Member

It does fit perfectly, and I do love it. However I feel i bought a BMW with a Ford engine...all looks well but may not run well in the long run. My limit is $600 max on a suit, I am only 22 and I am a full time student in college I do not have a lot of cash!! Otherwise I would be in bespoke Kitons (and that would be what i wear to bed!) LOL. I may return it.....There was a hicky freeman suit there i really loved however it wasa 42 and i am a 40R.....would a local fine tailor be able to get that down to a 40? Giblees is nearby and they are a real high end shop, Brioni, Canali, REAL Zegna and the rest alike.....

17. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

We're derailing this thread, but...

Altering a 42 to fit a 40R and have it look good would cost way more than just getting the right size in the first place.

If you're in nyc, try Syms, which has burberry and hickey freeman for 400-500, less during their sales.

I have seen the racks of Zegna cloth suits at FB. They appear to be cut more trim than the regular Zegnas, so if you like the fit you may not have been pleased with a real Ermenegildo Zegna, which cost me nearly 150 to get tailored to my liking.

18. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Dropped by the store today. The Borrelli shirts have been cleaned the freak out. I figured I might be able to grab a few of those $700 Royal Collection ones on auto mark-down. Yeah, some day [​IMG] .
    BTW, they still got a couple pairs of those suede chukkas left [​IMG] . I believe they're 25% off now.

19. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Dropped by the store today. The Borrelli shirts have been cleaned the freak out. I figured I might be able to grab a few of those $700 Royal Collection ones on auto mark-down. Yeah, some day [​IMG] .
    BTW, they still got a couple pairs of those suede chukkas left [​IMG] . I believe they're 25% off now.

Who is your avitar?

20. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Downtown crossing?