• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best wool or cashmere scarves?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few from Johnstons of Elgin and (newly) Howard Yount. I like them all, for different characteristics.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Try a 10% cashmere, 90% merino scarf. Doesn't bunch up in the wash nearly as much.

Better still, 10% cashmere, 90% cotton. Feels like cashmere, launders like cotton. Wear it with pride, who will ever know the difference?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of Johnston's of Elgin, Altea, or
peepwall[1].gif
Burberry I'm satisfied with Barbour, Colombo are the nicest that I've owned.

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
If you don't want something that costs hundreds of dollars that is high quality I go with the scarves made by V Fraas. The Scarves JC Penny sold a couple years ago were V Fraas. They sold Towncraft Scarves you could tell are made by V Fraas. All V Fraas scarves are Made in Germany which I would think would make them fairly high quality for the price.

The V Frass ones sold in the Womens Department usually sell for about $38 retail. They usually have them on sale for around $20 or so. I know both Boscov's and Bonton have V Fraas scarves. I think V Fraas is Pretty good. They have many different styles including poka dots and even plaids. Some almost look like the Burberry ones that cost a lot more but are not. I have seen others from Natuica, Calvin Klein, Polo Ralph Lauren, etc. at Macy's that all cost at least $50-60 and many of them are made in china.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Just picked up this from Drakes - and I was very impressed. Beautiful feel, the colours and the pattern are superb (and even better in real life), and very fairly priced at £130

JC0190008_007M.jpg

Also have a few Loro Piano scarves - and they are the softest, most luxurious I have seen (or more importantly felt) anywhere. You pay for the quality though

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Try a 10% cashmere, 90% merino scarf. Doesn't bunch up in the wash nearly as much.

Better still, 10% cashmere, 90% cotton. Feels like cashmere, launders like cotton. Wear it with pride, who will ever know the difference?

Had no idea people washed their scarves.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Colombo are beautiful.

Begg is quite probably the best Scottish Cashmere that exists. (and I havent yet put this seasons Begg Cashmeres online yet.

any chance the new Begg's have a check'd pattern? get them up pronto!
smile.gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
any chance the new Begg's have a check'd pattern? get them up pronto!
smile.gif

Begg specializes in checks. (although this is the first spring that I have done some women's floral stuff it's stunning. )

here is a cross post of most of the begg cashmeres.

Some of the Alex Begg Cashmeres. Haven't yet Priced them, but the smaller (12 x 59 inch) will run probably 215 and the larger (14 x 72 inch) about 325 - 500 depending on the pattern. Typical pricing for what is arguably Scotland's finest cashmere.

I hope to add the Ombre (Variegated Dyed Scarves) tomorrow and to have them all on the site by tomorrow or Friday.

Wool/Angora blends to follow sometime thereafter.

Some for men, some for wimmens and some for both.

AB80I-Black.jpg
AB80I-Breamer-PK.jpg

AB80I-Breamer-PR.jpg
AB80I-Breamer-RY.jpg

AB80I-Breamer-RYb.jpg

AB80I-DarkGrey.jpg
AB80I-Ghillie-BL.jpg

AB80I-Ghillie-PR.jpg
AB80I-Ghillie-GY.jpg

AB80I-Morello.jpg

AB80I-Howwood-BK.jpg
AB80I-Howwood-WN.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads