• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to remove ear wax?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
what about how people, depending on race, have different kinds of ear wax? I guess you'd have to adjust your ear cleaning method based partly on that.

I am Asian and have the dry type of ear wax. A metal ear pick works fine. I use it every couple of weeks.

You Caucasian guys and your wet ear wax... gross!

Doctor Quack

Reaction score
I just use a kleenex and my finger, usually after my shower every three or so days. I've never needed to resort to any of these drastic, deep-cleaning methods.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor Quack
I just use a kleenex and my finger, usually after my shower every three or so days. I've never needed to resort to any of these drastic, deep-cleaning methods.

Your name does not instill confidence in your method.

K

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000
This site suggests using warm baby or mineral oil: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-saf...ve-ear-wax.htm

Tis is what my Doctor advised me to do...

Originally Posted by bobmcbob
Don't use q-tips - at least not deep. The only people who can use q-tips and not make things worse are people who don't have a problem with ear wax.

I use ear wax drops for several days followed by an ear "syringe". It's an all-rubber bulb that you use to shoot water into your ear. The drops loosen up the wax, and the syringe flushes it out.

Or, you can go to your doc and they will stick a real syringe in your ear (not all the way) and squirt water into it to clear it out. And, they can look inside and know they got everything.

I used this kit:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp12439_33...val_system.htm

+1 I've used those before and they work pretty well. Also recommended to me by my Doc.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a shower/hair wash the ear canals will be wet.

Take a Q-tip and GENTLY roll clockwise (not push in and out) toward the ear drum, but certainly do not go all that way, only about 1/2" in. On your way out roll the otherway (counter-clockwise). This should remove most all ear wax. Prevention is the key. If you already have too much buildup, seek professional help first for a good cleanout.

BTW, I find the Walmart branded cotton swabs just the same as the true Johnson&Johnson Q-tip. You just have to be careful and buy the ones with the cloth stick, not the ones with the neon-colored plastic stick.

Costs of Q-tip, 500 count: $3.49
Costs of Walmart equivalent, 500 count: $1.69.

Sable

Reaction score
go to the doctor....theyll vacuum it out.....i had it done once 2 years ago....the improvement in my hearing was amazing

i always found q-tips to be inneffective....too much effort for too little results

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
To the OP:

If by "in ear monitors" you really, truly mean in ear monitors, like Etymotic ER4S's, then from personal experience I would say it's very easy and very effective to simply apply a thin layer of olive oil to the rubber flanges before insertion. Not only will it help you to get a better seal and better sound accuracy, but it'll lube-up your ear canal so as to coax any earwax buildup gradually towards the outter ear. After following the above procedure myself, it's not unusual for a big lump of wax to just roll right out of my ear - like Stimpy's brain out of his, if you ever saw that episode

If you mean iPod-style ear-buds, though, then you're on your own - until you buy some serious ear/headphones, anyway.

pshaw23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
Holy ****! WTF!

+2 on the please don't put metal things or Q-tips in your ear.

Since no one else has mentioned it, this is what I do: Lay on my side and pour a little hydrogen peroxide in my ear. Wait about 5 minutes and flip over, letting the peroxide and wax drain on to a tissue. Repeat as necessary. This softens up wax and "bubbles" it out.

Also, ear candling is pretty awesome and provides a "deep clean" with immediate results. A word of caution though...please don't attempt solo or you might just catch your head (or something else) on fire.

Q-tips and "ear scoops" I suppose are fine for the outer part of the ear but many get carried away, resulting in pushing wax into the ear canal....very, very bad.

+1

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one of those big metal syringes they use at the doctors office. Every few months I'll use it to flush out my ears. Feels amazing.
M0771-1-F.JPG

freeAgent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by areyounoob
Anybody got a recommendation for hard wax?

Pretty much every method has been discussed on this thread, but I'd recommend you try a solution of hydrogen peroxide and either warm water or vinegar. Pour a bit into your ear as you're laying on your side and let it sit in there for a couple minutes. This will liquify and loosen up the wax. Repeat this process daily until you've got everything cleared up. You can also follow it up by using one of those rubber syringe things. There are earwax removal kits that you can buy in drugstores that include this stuff.

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
use the chinese scoop thing, works well, and you have to be a serious idiot to hurt yourself with it...

plus it feels great

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Milano
use the chinese scoop thing, works well, and you have to be a serious idiot to hurt yourself with it...

plus it feels great

Especially when you're resting your head on the lap of a pretty Chinese girl who gently pick it out for you?

That kind of service does exist!

PrimusPilus

Reaction score
When I was about 9 or 10, a doctor used one of those metal syringes to clean out my ears and I thought he was going to burst my eardrum. It hurt like a motherfucker. But a few years later, I think he was arrested for exchanging pain pills for sex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads