• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best suit to buy on travel in Italy

Arianozz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am 21 years old and from Australia. I will be graduating from law school in mid 2023 and have plans to visit Italy in February 2023. I would like to purchase a suit that I can wear both to my graduation and later on in job interviews and office use. Because of this price is of no issue to me and I would simply like to be the best quality and looking Suit that I can in Italy. Would you recommend buying a suit from luxury brands such as Gucci or having a tailor made suit? If so would you recommend tailors from Napoli or Milan and are there any specific ones you have in mind?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very open ended question. Suggestion: Go the Battistoni Shop in Rome
where they have very high end RTW. If you like the style and selection.
They also do bespoke. Correction, their website does not show RTW
tailored clothing. So they may have changed. An exceptioanlly beautiful
shop. worth a look.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
how long are you in italy, and what's the budget? sartoria solito comes recommended. granted, i've only met luigi a handful of times and yet to have anything commissioned (only due to logistics of the second fitting), note that he does require two fittings for bespoke. i am sure this can be accomplished within a week or two (always worth spending a week or two in italy, lol).

TomTom

Reaction score
Go to Orazio in Napoli( premium qualitybut not cheap),or if you can get away with it ( they can be a bit short ) go to Boggi in Milan and get 2-3suits( decent quality, not to expensive). Batistonibin Rome is another level,great suits, beautiful style but you will pay for it.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allow me to put forth the thought that splurging your entire budget on one suit might not be the best of ideas. Have you worn suits much up to now? Have you taken some time to look at differing styles and cuts? Will you have to wear this for work? If you are going to wear conservative suits everyday for work have you looked at how many you might need for your first 2 to 3 years of work? How much money will you be able to budget for clothing each year? Here in the US most new lawyers do not start out with a big firm making great money. Most end up working for the government and won't have to dress nearly that well. What body type do you have? If you are very close to standard sizing then it might be best to buy rtw and find a good alterations tailor. more importantly if you think you will need suits for the next few decades it might make sense to use this opportunity to find a tailor you like and start developing a relationship. While I have never bought a bespoke suit everything I have read indicates the first suit is usually not the best but over time as you and the tailor get to know each other and he knows your needs and likes better the suits get progressively better. Do you plan to visit Italy regularly? If not maybe better to find a local tailor if possible.
Truth is that you need to take some more time to think this through now before you start spending money. This forum is a great resource but you also need to do some research online and if possible in person.
Good luck.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you asked this elsewhere I’ll just put my answer here.
Hello everyone, i am 21 years old and from Australia. I will be graduating from law school in mid 2023 and have plans to visit Italy in February 2023. I would like to purchase a suit that I can wear both to my graduation and later on in job interviews and office use. Because of this price is of no issue to me and I would simply like to be the best quality and looking Suit that I can in Italy. Would you recommend buying a suit from luxury brands such as Gucci or having a tailor made suit? If so would you recommend tailors from Napoli or Milan and are there any specific ones you have in mind?
I’d recommend you look into the differences between Florentine, Roman, Milanese and Neapolitan tailoring and see which one catches your eye and which one would have a silhouette that works for you. Then you can make a determination of which tailors house style you like from within that region.

A couple places to get you started with getting an idea for each region before you decide.

Florentine:
Liverano
Neapolitan:
Solito
Roman:
Gaetano Aloisio
Milanese:
Musella Dembech

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
If you are set on big luxury brands and really want to stretch your budget, head to Seravalle or The Mall outlets - both close to Milan and Florence (safe to assume that you'll visit these places like everyone else from overseas 🙃 ), respectively, you might be able to pick up two to three suits factoring in the VAT refunds

plus, you get to try anything from Kiton, Brioni, and Zegna to designer houses like Tom Ford, Gucci etc. in one place and find out what you like in terms of fabrics and cuts

Bespoke and MTM are terrific, but fittings included, and the fact that your body will inevitably change in the coming years, as others have stated, makes this very much a shoehorned option

I also second that Boggi is an excellent option as they do offer fully canvased models and a variety of cuts

when in Naples, obviously, pop by local artisans, Attolini could be a great option if their RTW fits you well, and it might be that one-and-done suit you have in mind, but again, suits live and die by giving them time to rest and relax and even the best only will last you so long nowadays

we've all overworn suits (and still do ?) and ripped those trousers, turning a once beloved suit into a jacket that doesn't get the wear it was intended for

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea that expensive RTW is somehow better than bespoke if he’s set on spending that amount of money is just nonsense. I have no idea why someone would think spending €3-4,000 on RTW is a good idea but spending €3-4,000 on bespoke isn’t.

If you’re really that worried about your body changing - bespoke tailoring is more able to be altered down the line, not less. My bespoke suits all have significantly more inlay available for alterations than RTW. I also have access to my tailor who can make adjustments as opposed to needing to find an alterations tailor who may not be comfortable doing certain alterations. If your experience is buying something like SuitSupply then I get this concern but it’s detached from the reality of bespoke.

With regard to body changes - It is true some people experience significant changes in their body between 21 and 25, some also don’t. This is an arbitrary number and isn’t universal. Frankly, my body changed more in my early 30s than it did in my early 20s (but still not so much that I had to throw away bespoke suits from my early 20’s for fit reasons)

The more likely outcome is that your tastes may change. By sticking with something relatively classic and conservative this should be somewhat mitigated but even then you may decide that you really liked the softness and relaxed look of Neapolitan tailoring in your 20s but prefer more drape and some extra structure the English provide later on or vice versa.

The short version is that none of this is static and if you’re waiting for your body to never change again or your tastes to never change again you’ll be waiting for a long, long time.

Mirage-

Reaction score
The more likely outcome is that your tastes may change. By sticking with something relatively classic and conservative this should be somewhat mitigated but even then you may decide that you really liked the softness and relaxed look of Neapolitan tailoring in your 20s but prefer more drape and some extra structure the English provide later on or vice versa.

The short version is that none of this is static and if you’re waiting for your body to never change again or your tastes to never change again you’ll be waiting for a long, long time.

I think you are right in mentioning taste. My own experience with clothes has been of rapidly changing taste for the first couple of years since the moment I started having an interest in clothes. For example, I bought like 10 pairs of slim tapered chinos, which is the de-facto norm in Italy, before realising after less than a year that I really wanted a straighter fit instead, and without elastane ideally, and having to basically throw those away because no one wants my hemmed trousers (I'm fairly short).
Thankfully I only started buying jackets after months and months of reading about tailoring (mainly on permanent style), and so far my taste in that hasn't changed.
Nor has my stance of not buying suits but only sport coats and odd trousers - though I guess that depends on your use case, in law suits are probably still expected.

In any case, whatever you do, imho, don't buy a luxury label suits. Might as well go bespoke for that price, which at least will have someone guiding you, plus it's an experience in itself (not that I have ever bought bespoke myself, mind you).
If you don't have time for it, but are sure you want to spend that kind of budget this early (which I wouldn't recommend unless you can easily both afford and justify such expense), go try Attolini or some other real authority in tailoring (as opposed to luxury branding, who will sub contract their tailoring anyway).
But it is in fact likely a few mid-price suits would be more useful in the long run if you actually intend to wear them regularly.

I would normally recommend Boglioli for very soft casual tailoring, more reasonable priced than Attolini but still made in Italy and with modern but not trendy proportions, unlike e.g. Boggi. But it might be too casual for a lawyer.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads