• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Suit at Men's Wearhouse

Reaction score
I'm a High School senior, and I'm getting my tux rental for prom from Men's Wearhouse. There's a program where you recommend 5 people and get the rental free, or $500 for a suit. Since the tux rental is temporary, and only ~$120, I figure I'll go for the suit. I currently have a cheap sport coat, and dress pants from Kohl's (I got when I was a freshman for jazz recitals at a fine arts school I go to), but no actual suit, and I figure it's a good idea for a college freshman to have one nice suit (at least). So, despite people's objections to the general quality of Men's Wearhouse, I have an opportunity for a free suit, so it's worth it regardless.

With that all said, what's the best $500-ish suit (could be a little over) at Men's Wearhouse? I've heard that Abboud is possibly the best brand there, but I want a second opinion. I'll probably get it altered elsewhere, since the alteration isn't included in the $500 (even if you get a cheaper suit), so that part doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the help

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a freshman in college, a Men's Warehouse suit is perfectly fine, especially if you are getting it for free (if you were paying full retail for it, that would be another matter). I think that Joseph Abboud is probably the best choice of the brands they stock that I'm familiar with. Solid navy or medium to dark grey are your best options. Don't get anything with patterns for your first suit.

As an aside, I hope you are paying for the tuxedo rental and just getting the suit for free. A classic tuxedo is the best thing to wear to prom and the only thing that won't make you shake your head at yourself when you look at photos ten years from now.

Good luck. Wear the suit and enjoy prom in good health.

Reaction score
Joseph Abboud and Jones New York were the two I was looking at, for the most part. I'll was planning on doing gray, because I figured it was a good basic color to get first.

I'm definitely going for the suit. It's a much better value. $500 suit for free as long as it lasts vs. $140 tux for one night seems like an easy choice. Last year I went with a basic black tux, white shirt and a red vest/tie that matched my date. This year, my date is wearing red, again, so I decided to go with a black pinstripe coat/pants, black shirt, and a white vest/tie. I liked the look of it, and it's a bit different, but not insanely so.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads (search "Prom" for examples), so I'll limit myself to saying that what you're describing is not even close to being a tuxedo or resembling any sort of proper formalwear. You are of course free to wear what you want and prom may involve motives other than looking good in classic menswear (plus it's prom so someone will wear something worse). I don't mean to sound harsh, but you should at least know how awful this sounds so you can make an informed decision. People your age often don't realize that sometimes doing things correctly stands out just enough and looks better, until they look at their prom photos ten years later and wonder what the hell they were thinking.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of the thread, "What is the Best Vegan Meal at McDonalds."

Reaction score
Archibald, I'm not asking about prom wear, I was just saying that I'm getting a free suit for giving other people $40 bucks off on rental tuxes. What I'm wearing is a tuxedo...

MrDaniels, so what you're saying is I shouldn't take a free $500 suit, as an entry-level suit, as a college freshman? Would you rather me get a bespoke Kiton suit? I'm sure I have the many thousands of dollars laying around for that.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I am not one of those snobs...but thank you for being so dedicated and creative in putting words in my mouth!

I just think Men's Wearhouse has severely dumbed-down the suit industry. I think at this price point, Macy's or Jos A Bank are much better choices....Men's Wearhouse has some seriously ugly products for sale; I don't trust a shop that sells the level of crap they put on display. But for tux rental it's OK.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are not getting it, OP is getting a suit for free. Considering he is young, there is no reason to turn down a temp suit.

Just get a charcoal or navy...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize that, I just can't help doing a Public Service Announcement when Men's Wearhouse is invoked. Look at these pics from their site....how poorly the models are styled and how lousy the tailoring is. If that is what they are doing in the corporate office, what kind of fit is a young man going to get at some random strip mall?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I've said, there is nothing wrong with a free suit from Mens Warehouse. I would not shop there at full retail as there are better values, but a free suit from there is more than enough for a typical college freshman.

Archibald, I'm not asking about prom wear, I was just saying that I'm getting a free suit for giving other people $40 bucks off on rental tuxes. What I'm wearing is a tuxedo... 

I decided to go with a black pinstripe coat/pants, black shirt, and a white vest/tie. I liked the look of it, and it's a bit different, but not insanely so.

:facepalm::facepalm:

Like I said, wear what you want; however, just because the rental company calls something a tuxedo doesn't make it so.

Reaction score
MrDaniels, I get that, but not great quality for free is still better than nothing. Plus, I believe I said that since tailoring isn't included, I'd be getting that done elsewhere, so their tailoring doesn't matter.

Quadcammer and Archibald, the pinstripes make me look less overweight, and I didn't want to go with a basic look everyone else would have. If you had one time to wear something non-traditional, and strange, wouldn't it be as a high school senior at prom?

Balfour

Reaction score
Quadcammer and Archibald, the pinstripes make me look less overweight, and I didn't want to go with a basic look everyone else would have. If you had one time to wear something non-traditional, and strange, wouldn't it be as a high school senior at prom?
No.

Actually, yes - wear chicken feet. That will not be a basic look that everyone goes with. You will be the attraction of the prom and your outfit will pop.
foo.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I wasn't quite aware of the rule that 17 year olds were supposed to be perfectly fashionable at prom, rather than, I don't know, having fun. I think it looks good, my date agrees. Good enough for me.

Now if you don't have any input on what suit would be the best choice as a FREE, entry level suit, for a rising college freshman, please keep to yourself.

Reaction score
One last point about the tux, if I look back and the tux is the only thing I think "what the hell was I thinking?" about, then I'll consider it a pretty good prom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads