1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best Suit at Men's Wearhouse

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crimsonstained7, Apr 6, 2013.

1. johnvw

johnvw Well-Known Member

+1

2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

This is all true. I bought my first suit at a Mens Wearhouse for a wedding about 6 years ago when I knew nothing about how a suit should fit. The salesman suggested, for my first suit, a 3 button charcoal "multistripe" (that's what they seem to call it on their website) suit that I now know is (1) hideous and (2) at least a size too big. Of course I take some of the blame for not being knowledgable in the first place. My advice is to:

1. Learn as much as possible about how a suit should fit. You don't have to be rude and completely ignore the advice of the MW salesmen (I'm sure there are some who know how a suit should fit), but trust your instincts, and also pay attention to how they look in the suit they will likely be wearing. Finally, do not buy a bigger size because you will "grow into it." Perhaps you will out grow the suit in the next few years, but buy a suit that fits you now. This is actually a good reason for someone of your age to not invest too much money in a suit.
    2. With your MW credit, get the best fitting 2 button, 100% wool, notch lapel, solid (no pattern) navy or charcoal suit they have. Depending on your build, "slim" or "tailored" fit suits might be the way to go, though watch out for lapels that are too skinny.
    3. I thought MW provides free tailoring, but either way have it tailored if necessary.

If you follow the above, take decent care of this suit, and don't change too much in your build, this single suit will probably get you through college and possibly after. If it doesn't, at least you have some time in the meantime to learn and prepare for your next suit, whenever that is.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Most people won't think a suit that is decently altered from MW looks terrible. This is definitely true. Also, most people do not expect college kids to be wearing expensive suits. Getting beat up a bit on SF does have some advantages when you want to look better than 95% of the population, however. That kind of wardrobe is probably unrealistic for a freshman in college but is worth considering as OP's resources grow.

4. jgold47

jgold47 Well-Known Member

found this again and it reminded to say that if you keep an eye on Macys/.com they often have crazy clearance sales on suits. I'll order 2-3 different ones in different sizes if I am not sure how it will fit. take back the other ones to the store, and go visit my magician, err...tailor. I only wear a suit a couple of times a year, but I like to get a new one each year for my big trade show to keep it fresh. This year I got two Perry Ellis suits from macys with tailoring for like 400 bucks. And when you are shaped like me, half of that was probably the tailoring.... Got tons of compliments on both, not because there was anything special about them, but because my magician (err tailor) had done her thing. I'm top heavy so she slimmed the jacket waist, took in the legs, did all those little tricks that make a suit look like 100000 bucks!

5. XFactor

XFactor Well-Known Member

- Who is this magician tailor and where are you?
    - What did you pay for the suits and how much was the tailoring?

6. austyn57

austyn57 New Member

Regardless if its free. It is still a peice of fused garbage. Be smart save your money and get a nice CANVASSED suit on sale. Do not settle for less just bc it is free.

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the OP has already made his decision by now, seeing as the thread was started a year ago.

8. MisterFu

MisterFu Well-Known Member

SF Noob fail on two counts:

1. Telling a 17 year old who has very limited access to funds that he should just forgo receiving a free suit because it's a fused wonder and instead start saving for a suit that, at a minimum, will cost around a grand.

2. Necroposting to a year old thread.

Bonus points for failing to hit the spell check button; it's piece not peice.

2 people like this.
  9. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Can we ban this guy? Necroing all these old threads

10. MisterFu

MisterFu Well-Known Member

Probably unnecessary as he will be shamed out of this behavior (and probably off SF altogether).

11. Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn Well-Known Member

A two-button charcoal or navy suit are one of the evergreen outfit of Men's wardrobe, you can wear charcoal suit at your office, any important business gatherings, or formal gatherings. Both of them are not very much limited, it works well in almost all situations, I recommend these two classic suits to everyone!

12. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Must you keep bumping old threads?

1 person likes this.